S. African Students Get First Tastes of Democracy

Cast Votes in Their Country's First Multi-Racial Election; View Suffrage as Affirmation of Citizenship

By H. NICOLE Lee

This week, for the first time in her life, first-year Harvard Business School student Imogen Mkhiz voted for president.

Mkhiz is one of handful of Black South Africans who cast ballots Tuesday as part of the first multi-racial election in their country's history.

But the students said the euphoria of suffrage is complicated by their concerns about the future as South Africa moves towards racial integration and democracy.

"It's pretty difficult to put this into words. It's exciting to vote, and also a mixture of feelings," Mkhiz said. "I'm also thinking in terms of what's going to happen afterwards. My mind is busy thinking about the challenges ahead."

Two days ago, the students and other South African nationals living in the area lined up outside the State House to vote.

Sisiso G. Z. Ngwenya '97 described the scene at the State House as "very festive."

"People were excited, chatting," Ngwenya said. "I saw a fried I hadn't seen in five years, I didn't even know he was in this country."

But the balloting was also very emotional for students who view Black suffrage as a final affirmation of their status as rightful citizens of South Africa.

"It's something I've been waiting for since I was born," said Inati Ntshanga '95, who voted Tuesday. "For the first time in my life, I am a citizen of my country."

Ntshanga said he had never even voted for a class president before, because previously he had never felt he "could qualify as a voter."

"Now I can vote for anyone," Ntshanga said.

Mkhiz said the young generation of South Africans have a significant role to play in shaping the future of their country. Expatriate students in particular have an important function as they will return to South Africa with unique experience, skills and abilities, Mkhiz said.

"We have to bridge the gap, not only between a bigger group--the Blacks--and a smaller group--the whites, not only in terms of voting, but also in terms of merging the education systems, the pension systems," Mkhiz said. "It will require a lot of resources and ingenuity."

"This places a lot of responsibility on us, on people who are here like myself," she added. "It makes it more important to accomplish what we came here for, and to go back and participate, and offer our individual resources to the process of gaining full democracy. I would hope that everybody here is aware of that responsibility, and preparing for thatresponsibility."

Ngwenya said he was very aware of his positionas an expatriate student, and his responsibilityto his homeland.

"We have to go back home and give somethingback," Ngwenya said.

Professor of Government Martin L. Kilson Jr., amember of the committee on African studies, saidhe, too, believes the future will be verydifficult for young South Africans.

"They are right when they say it's going to bea challenge," Kilson said. "The new metamorphosisis riddled with problematics which may be sobroad, deep and intense it may smother thedemocratization process."

Kilson also said the celebration ofenfranchisement should include recognition forBlack Americans who played an important part infostering the democratic movement in South Africa.

"There should be a full-fledged celebration forBlack African-Americans," said Kilson. "By givingmoney, advice and acting as [the African NationalCongress'] lobby, they fostered democratictransformation."

Voting ends tonight at midnight in SouthAfrica