Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor Talks Justice, Civic Engagement at Radcliffe Day

Church Says It Did Not Authorize ‘People’s Commencement’ Protest After Harvard Graduation Walkout

‘Welcome to the Battlefield’: Maria Ressa Talks Tech, Fascism in Harvard Commencement Address

Multimedia

In Photos: Harvard’s 373rd Commencement Exercises

Rabbi Zarchi Confronted Maria Ressa, Walked Off Stage Over Her Harvard Commencement Speech

UMD's Chris Marinucci Gets 1994 Hobey Baker Award

By David S. Griffel, Special to The Crimson

ST. PAUL, Minn.--Minnesota-Duluth captain Chris Marinucci won the 1994 Hobey Baker Memorial Award last Friday.

The Grand Rapids, Minn., native finished ninth in scoring in the nation, racking up 30 goals and 31 assists in 38 games at left wing this season.

"I'm really happy to receive this award," Marinucci said. "But this is really a team award, not an individual, and I owe a lot to my teammates."

The Hobey Baker Memorial Award goes to the top all-around college hockey player each year.

First, each college coach submits a preliminary list of three candidates in his league and three in the nation.

Then that list is pared down to 10 finalists, which included Harvard Captain Sean McCann this year.

A special selection committee then makes the final decision, and Marinucci found out he had won early last week.

In two games against the Crimson this year, Marinucci had one goal and three assists.

The teams split the two games, which were played in December.

Marinucci is the third Minnesota-Duluth player to win the award, which was created in 1981. Only Harvard has had as many recipients--Lane MacDonald '88-9 (a winner in 1989), Scott Fusco '85-6 (1986) and Mark Fusco '83 (1983).