HUPD Officer Tells His Version of Beating Case

By Marios V. Broustas

The Harvard police officer charged with beating a private citizen while making an arrest broke his silence yesterday, after the University removed its nearly two-year long gag order on the case.

The suit, which accused Officer Robert Kotowski of beating Joseph Angier on April 17, 1991, was withdrawn by the plaintiff's attorney in early March after Harvard-hired attorney Richard J. Riley located a witness to the incident.

Riley met the witness, Scott A. Evans, at his Florida residence, who confirmed that Angier had fabricated the beating.

University Attorney Allan A. Ryan Jr. said yesterday that the case is now "closed."

But Kotowski said that even though the suit has been withdrawn, his actions still look unprofessional because no one has told his side of the story.

"They lied and lied from beginning to end," the Harvard police officer said. "There is no doubt now in my mind as to what the real story is."

Kotowski said the unarmed robbery occurred on Trowbridge St., not Harvard Square as the suit had claimed. He also said the victim was a Harvard student, a fact which never appeared in Angier's complaint.

Kotowski said that after the robbery Angier, Evans and a third unidentified man fled in an allegedly stolen car down Kirkland St. While they were pursued by Cambridge and Harvard police.

He said the three men then got out of the car and attempted to run away.

Kotowski said he chased Angier down Nevada Ave, trying to apprehend him. Angier then climbed an eight-foot chain link fence, in an attempt to escape, Kotowsky added.

Unable to scale the fence, Angier finally jumped on Kotowski, he said.

After a brief scuffle, Kotowski said he handcuffed Angier and brought him to Somerville Ave. where Harvard Police Officer Curi Gauvreau had caught Evans.

Gauvreau and Evans had apparently fought and Evans was "screaming and yelling and bleeding from the mouth," Kotowski said. The victim of the alleged robbery was then brought to Evans, who yelled, "I didn't rob you!"

The original suit filed by Angier did not sayEvans or the third man were accomplices. The suitalso said that the victim cleared Angier ofinvolvement in the crime.

But Kotowski said the victim's negativeidentification was affected by Evans' Yelling.

Kotowski also added that the victim's glasseshad been broken, and that his bad vision made theidentification indefinite.

The victim's backpack was found in the car thethree men had abandoned. and his Vuarnetsunglasses were found in Evans' pockets.

According to Kotowski the car was registered toMark Medeiros who reported it stolen the followingday.

During the booking procedure, Evans and Angierdenied knowing each other. Court documents onlyidentify Evans as a witness to the crime, not asan accomplice.

The suit also alleged that Kotowski did notfile charges against Angier until seven monthslater.

But Kotowski said yesterday he filed thecharges for larceny of a motor vehicle andmalicious destruction of a motor vehicle on theday after the incident. It took seven months forthe suit against Angier to come to trial.

Kotowski said Medeiros refused to come to courtas a witness, and the judge dropped the chargesagainst Angier without notifying Kotowski.

Angier had filed his suit and tried to freehimself from the charges by attacking Kotowski'sreputation, the Harvard police officer said.

"We goddamn knew he was lying," attorney Ryanhad told The Crimson in March. "The plaintiff toldhis attorney to withdraw the case because wediscovered he was lying and he knew it."

Angier's attorney Sanford A. Kowal did not wishto comment on the case yesterday