Football Recruit Dies From Electrocution

Class of 1998 Admit Killed During Spring Break Vacation on South Padre Island

By Christopher Ortega

A Football recruit in the class of 1998 was electrocuted Monday while vacationing on South Padre Island, Tex. at a Sheraton beach resort.

Jarrett Romanski died as he climbed out of a Jacuzzi and grabbed a pole attached to a canopy which gave him " a fatal shock," according to a captain at the South Padre Island Police Department.

Romanski was rushed to the nearest hospital, Valley Regional Hospital in Brownsville, Tex., which is 25 miles away. He was pronounced dead within 45 minutes to an hour after receiving the shocks.

South Padre Island police refused to comment. Spokespeople from Sheraton/ITT could not be reached for comment.

Romanski was senior at Loyola Academy, which is outside of Chicago. He was a linebacker, fullback and punter for Loyola's football team, according to Father Raymond J. Callahan S.J., president of the school.

Romanski led Loyola to the state semifinal game, where he was injured, ending his season.

He also excelled academically and received the Robert W. Skoglund award at Loyola for excellence in athletics and academics.

Romanski accepted Harvard's offer of admission because "he was bright and he wanted the best," Callahan said.

"He was extraordinary in a lot of ways," Harvard football coach Timothy Murphy said. "He was one of those kids who you wanted on your football team more for his personality than for his ability."

Murphy, who recruited Romanski, said he will probably fly to Chicago to express his and Harvard football's condolences.

In addition, the Harvard Club of Chicago sent a fruit basket to the family, according to Alan H. Hammerman '55, the Chicago club president.

Although Loyola is on spring break, approximately 600 people attended a prayer services was held for Romanski which was attended by Next Monday, when Loyola is back in session, there will be more services for Romanski.