HASCS Will Get More Aid, Dean Says

By Andrew L. Wright

Dean of the Faculty Jeremy R. Knowles indicated in an interview yesterday afternoon that funding to the financially strapped Harvard Arts and Sciences Computer Services (HASCS) would be increased "in the near future."

The Crimson reported yesterday morning that HASCS--which maintains the computer network used by students for everything from electronic mail to in-class research--is plagued by staff and space shortages, budgetary constraints and poor working condition for its employees.

Knowles did not specifically say how much HASCS would receive or when. But the dean did say he recognized "the urgent need to support the rapid development of information technology in the College."

"Within the overall con- straints of reducing the deficit in the Facultyof Arts and Sciences (FAS) and within theconstraints of our overall need to shedadministrative and support positions," Knowlessaid, "I do not doubt that this area is going toneed and receive more support in the near future."

HASCS administrators have made repeated writtenand oral requests for increased support in budgetletters dating back to 1989, according to aconfidential memorandum written by theorganization's acting director, Richard S. Steen.

The Steen memo, dead January 31, detailedserious problems among HASCS's overworked staff,including "health issues or negative effects onmarriages, families and relationships."

"Despite the best efforts to improveefficiency," the memo says, "HASCS is a shiptaking on water faster that it can bail it out."

Steen, in his memo, and former HASCS directorLewis A. Law both criticized the Facultyadministration for ignoring requests and warningsabout problems in HASCS.

"Unfortunately, FAS...did not support ourrepeated proposals (and warnings) that additionaltrained staff would also be necessary beforebringing the network on-line," Steen wrote 70 daysago.

HASCS had not had a staffing increase in adecade until the Faculty granted three newpositions to the organization earlier this year.But HASCS employees said that the three newpositions have done little to alleviate problemsof stress and over-work.

Knowles said he understood how hard HASCS isworking to expand and maintain Harvard's link tothe internet, a global data communication network.

"This is an area that has clear and pressingneeds," Knowles said. "The staff of HASCS isworking heroically to support the network which,after all, did not exist only a few months ago.I'm sure that the pressure can only increase asmore students, faculty and more staff join thenetwork."

Tara H. Arden-Smith contributed to thereporting of this story.