Campaign Events Are Not For Just Anyone

By Jonathan N. Axelrod

The schedule of events is packed for today's kick-off of the University capital campaign.

Unfortunately, the events are by invitation only, and few students are on the guest list of potential donors.

For the lucky--or wealthy--few who will be able to attend them, the following events are scheduled:

. This morning's opening ceremonies in Sunders Theater will feature various speakers, including President Neil L. Rudenstine, Campaign Co-Chair Robert G. Stone Jr. '45, Medical School Dean Daniel C. Tosteson '46, Dean of the Kennedy School Provost-elect Albert Carnesale and Dean of the Faculty Jeremy R. Knowles.

. This afternoon, alumni can attend one of 10 panel discussions hosted by Harvard professors on teaching and research at the University.

. The festivities will conclude with a dinner/dance at the Gordon Track and Tennis Center. The featured event will be a dramatic reading of "The Harvard Letters," conceived by Overseer and actor John A. Lithgow '67. He will read the letters along with his son, Ian D. Lithgow '94, and actor Stockard Channing '65.