Students Reject U.C. Fee Hike, Election Structure

By Todd F. Braunstein

Students overwhelmingly rejected the Undergraduate Council's $10 term bill hike, its current election system, and its method of selecting leaders in a student referendum completed yesterday.

But since less than half the student body voted, the referendum will not be binding but advisory, in according with rules approved by the council.

In other council news, the executive board announced that it has received a petition, signed by the requisite ten members, calling for the expulsion of Hassen A. Sayeed '96.

Sayeed, who chairs the student affairs committee, has been charged with illegally tape-recording a telephone conversation between Vice President Joshua D. Liston '95 and himself without the former's knowledge.

All Questions Pass

All five questions on the referendum, held over the past four days in dining halls, passed by at least 18 percentage points.

President Carey W. Gabay '94 said that, in light of the results, he personally would vote to rescind the fee hike.

The ballot-counting was completed late last night in the council office.

"It's fantastic," said Anjalee C. Davis '96, the former council member who organized the petition drive to force a vote on the five referendum points. "It's a landslide, every single one."

Liston, however, pointed out that voter participation was 21 or 22 percent on every question.

"I think this shows that 80 percent of the student body is apathetic" about the changes, Liston said.

A full 60 percent of those casting ballots voted to rescind the council's $10 fee hike, which was passed in March. Just 40 percent wanted to uphold the council decision.

The most overwhelming vote was cast in favor of the option students have to check a box on term bills to waive the council fee.

The council decided last year to eliminate that option.

But 75 percent of voting students wanted tokeep the option, while just 25 percent elected touphold the council's decision.

A question that would add a round of councilelections before second semester was approved59-41.

A full 68 percent of students said they wantedto see the major council executives elected by thestudent body for one-year terms, while 32 percentdissented. Currently, the council selects itsofficers for one-semester terms.

Finally, 71 percent of voting students wantedto distribute unspent council funds to the housecommittees, while just 29 percent chose to let thecouncil keep the money.

Gabay said that given the vote, he would bereluctant to pursue the fee hike, which he hadoriginally cosponsored. The increase must beapproved by the Faculty Council.

"I would say we can't go through with it,"Gabay said. "We'd have to have firm studentsupport, and I don't think enough people voted forus to act on it."

As for the other four issues, Gabay said hewould recommend "maintaining the status quo."

But even with the sentiment of voting studentsoverwhelmingly in favor of change, Liston said hedid not plan to support any of the referendum'smeasures.

"If there were significant opposition to theU.C., I think it would have seen strongerparticipation in the referendum," Liston said."No, I would not support rescinding our votes."

Davis said the turnout was "fantastic"considering the vote took place during readingperiod, among other factors, and that she objectedto the 50 percent requirement.

The Charge

The official charge against Sayeed ismisconduct for "infringing on the rights ofanother undergraduate."

Misconduct is grounds for expulsion from thecouncil, as per section 23 of the bylaws.

Secretary Brandon C. Gregoire '95 said lastnight that Sayeed played for him a tape-recordingof a phone conversation between Sayeed and Liston.

In the conversation, which took place lastweek, Liston discusses potential action againstseveral council members who may have brokenbylaws, Gregoire said.

"He played part of it to Brandon, trying toinstigate a rivalry by making it look as if wewere specifically targeting Brandon, when no suchthing ever occurred," Liston added.

On the tape, Liston discusses action againstGregoire, former Vice President Melissa Garza '94and former Treasurer Rene Reyes '95, among others,Gregoire said.

On May I, an ultimately unsuccessful motion wasmade to recall Liston for failing to enforce theattendance policy.

"A few minutes" of the conversation wasrecorded, and Gregoire says he heard the entiretape.

Sayeed said last night that he would "commenton all these allegations in detail" at Sunday'smeeting.

Sayeed did say that he thought the movement toexpel him was politically motivated, a chargewhich Liston denied.

Notice for the expulsion of a member must bedelivered three days before proceedings, meaningSayeed can be ejected from the council thisSunday

The Charge