WHRB Could Be Forced Off the Air

Wall Damage Prompts Threats of Eviction

By Jonathan A. Lewin

After 54 years of broadcasting, WHRB faces the risk of a shutdown because of damage it made to the possibly asbestos-lined walls of its Memorial Hall headquarters, radio station staffers said yesterday.

The damage--two holes made while moving boxes and during a party--could force the station to indefinitely close, since the College has not yet started construction on its new home, the Pennypacker basement. The shutdown would prevent the station's annual, live broadcast of Commencement.

Despite the possibility of an indefinite shutdown, Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III told four senior members of WHRB May 4 that because of potential health risks, the College will close the station down if there is any further damage. He said he will conduct periodic spot-checks of the Mem Hall basement.

"We will close the station if there is another incident," Epps said. "We had no choice under law but to take the steps we took in that construction area."

But according to WHRB President Alexander S. Barylski '96, the station had to negotiate with Epps to continue broadcasting. In a letter posted inside the station, Barylski wrote that Epps opened the May 4 meeting by "announcing that we must be out of the studios by Monday."

Barylski wrote in his letter to staffers that "Harvard is being extremely generous in this matter and we must give them our fullest cooperation if we are to be allowed to continue broadcasting until Commencement."

Still, Barylski wrote that that "by are end of the meeting, out status was still in severe jeopardy." Only later in the day [was a staffer told] that we were being given a 'third chance,''' he continued.

To prevent the risk of a shutdown, a second letter from Barylski and Peter F. Rojas '97, the station manager, to WHRB members establishes "security measures" that must be met by all staffers.

"All nonessential personnel" are barred from the premises, and all "happy hours," parties and any other gatherings are banned for the remainder of the year, Barylski and Rojas wrote.

"We cannot give Harvard any more cause to doubt the wisdom of allowing us to remain broadcasting through Commencement," the letter concludes.

Barylski said WHRB had reached an understanding with the administration. He declined to discuss the matter further.

Epps called the meeting "a straightforward discussion of the conditions under which they can remain."

"Clearly, the University had to take precautions, given its liability, to prevent students from putting themselves in danger," Epps said.

The station is in the midst of a campaign to raise funds for the move to the new studio.

But the College has said it will only begin building the new studios when "all the money has been raised," WHRB staffer Evan Eng Young '94 said.

Young said, however, that all funds required by the College were raised.

"It is odd," Young said, "since we have raised the money we need to give to the College. The rest is for things like studio equipment, which we will buy ourselves."

Barylski declined to comment on the Pennypacker move, saying "you can draw whatever conclusions you want."

Young, a senior member of WHRB, said staffers first poked a hole in astation wall when they were moving boxes.

In a separate incident, a person at a WHRBFriday "happy hour" party kicked a second hole inthe wall, staffers said.

"Happy hours" are parties at which WHRB membersand compers would meet at the station and rockbands would occasionally play, according to peoplewho attended them.

"We have dealt with it to the satisfaction ofthe administration," Barylski said yesterday, "andhow we dealt with it is between us and theadministration."

Rojas also declined comment.

Epps termed the steps taken by the station"excellent."

But the dean added that he would send a letterto WHRB outlining the conditions the station mustmeet in order to remain in the space and continueits broadcasts

Rojas also declined comment.