Council Fails to Impeach Liston, Decides Rules for Referendum

Move to Cut Size By 16 Delegates Also Voted Down

By Todd F. Braunstein

Following a decision last week to invalidate a student referendum plagued by allegations of impropriety, the Undergraduate Council last night approved regulations for next week's repeat vote on the $10 term bill hike.

The council also decided not to reduce its membership for next year by 16 members, and debated a change in the council finance process.

Council members agreed that the new referendum will be held on May 9-11 in conjunction with the house committees.

The referendum will include votes on the fee hike and on last year's decision to eliminate students' option to waive the council fee by checking a box on their term bills.

The council unanimously approved a set of rules it said should contribute to a fair referendum.

These rules ban tabling by members in their own districts (in accordance with council by-laws), require proctors to request identification from all voters, and state that a list of students in the house must be provided to ensure that multiple voting does not occur.

The council also agreed that its members mayonly offer information on the technicalities ofvoting while tabling. Those tabling may not speakabout the fee hike even if asked, the councildecided.

In a measure members say they hope will curbunreliable tabling, the council also unanimouslyapproved regulations requiring all council membersto table at times to which they have committed,barring an emergency which must be described inwriting to the executive board.

Any council members violating these provisionswill be penalized by the executive board.

Finally, the council agreed to a separate setof regulations of Dudley House, which includevoting during dinner only.

Any election complaints must be brought to theMay 11 executive board meeting, the councildecided.

The council also rejected a constitutionalamendment that would have reduced by one delegatethe representation from each house, except Dudley.

Sixteen delegates would have been shaved offnext year's council if the measure had beenapproved.

The vote, conducted by roll, neededthree-quarters of the full membership to pass. Butmore than 20 of the 76 current members votedagainst the measure last night.

Melissa Garza '94, who proposed the amendment,argued that a reduced council membership wouldincrease efficiency and reduce turnover during theyear.

Those speaking against the amendment noted thatthe delegate in each district receiving the fewestvotes is often a hard-working council member.

In many cases, David V. Bonfili '96 said, thedelegate receiving the fewest votes in the houseis a sophomore who is not as well-known in thehouse.

And Treasurer Jamila A. Braswell '95 questionedwhether reduced membership was the means tobetter, more efficient council, arguing that adifferent approach by the leadership might bringabout the desired changes.

Council members also discussed severalconstitutional changes, the results of which willnot be known until the full council is contacted.

These amendments include forcing all groupsseeking money from the council to go through thefinance committee and a redefinition of thecouncil's student affairs committee