NBC EXec Named Gov't V.P.

Rowe Chosen After 18- Month Search

By Elizabeth T. Bangs

After an 18-month search, James H. Rowe '73, a Washington-based vice president for NBC, has been named the new vice president for government, community and public affairs, the University announced yesterday.

Rowe, a Washington D.C. native, replaces John H. Shattuck, who left last year for a job in the State Department.

"I am very pleased that Jim Rowe will be joining us," President Neil L. Rudenstine said in a statement yesterday. "He brings to the post extensive knowledge of government and its functions, experience with external and media relations and a deep concern for issues of high education."

In addition to his job overseeing regulatory, legal and legislative matters for NBC, Rowe, an attorney, has served in government.

He was chief counsel for the U.S. House Judiciary Committee's subcommittee on crime and criminal justice as well as the House Budget Committee's task force on urgent fiscal issues. Rowe led the judiciary committee's investigations of federal law enforcement's handling of the BCCI and Iraqgate scandals.

Rowe, who lived in both Leverett and Lowell Houses at Harvard, also worked in private practice in New York City and Washington, D.C.

"He has the political skills and the experience to be invaluable to us in Washington. He's going to be terrific to work for," said Jane H. Corlette, who has served as action vice president for more than a year. "I think we're looking forward to having somebody finally at the helm and getting on with it."

Rowe said yesterday that Rudenstine's personality is what ultimately drew him to Harvard.

"I'm very impressed with the cal- iber of the people, their commitment, theirdiversity. The real selling point at the end wasNeil," said Rowe, who as an alumnus interviewsapplicants to the College. "Looking at what Neilhas said about what he would like to do inbringing the University closer together, I thinkthose are very laudable goals."

Until Rowe takes over in early August, he willbe meeting regularly with Corlette and otheradministrators to ease the transition.

"We're beginning to work very closelytogether," he said. "I would hope to shortly meetwith the community leaders, the deans, thecongressional overseers on the hill inWashington."

Rowe, who as an undergraduate worked atPhillips Brooks House, said he was most interestedin building better relationships between Harvardand both the community and the government. He wasa history concentrator.

"I'm a big believer in the Tip O'Neill mottothat all politics is local," Rowe said. "It's abroadening responsibility in government relationsfor me. It's not simply federal relations, it'slocal, state and federal. That's a great appeal tome."

Rowe also said his experience in the mediawould be an asset to Harvard.

"I've been very used to either speaking withthe media, having the media cover what I've beendoing or representing a media company," he said.

Rowe is married to Lisa Adams, a Yale-educatedinterior designer who has worked with the homelessin Washington, and has two children: Christopher,6, and Lucia, 3