U. C. Consistent On Referendum

TO THE EDITORS

I would like to point out two factual errors printed in the "Dartboard" of the May 20 edition of The Crimson. First, Daniel Altman and Benjamin J. Heller print that "only 25 percent of students voted them [council representatives] into office." This figure is, in fact, quite wrong. The official records show that 44 percent of the college population voting in this fall's election.

Secondly, the columnists write, "We think it particularly peculiar that the council waited until the referendum's results came back before setting and attendance limit." This is simply untrue.

Well before the referendum of May 9, 10, 11 was held, the council, among other rules for the voting, decided that the referendum would require a 50 percent turnout to be binding.

Even The Crimson's own council beat reporter recognized this fact before the meeting of May 15, when Altman and Heller claim the council first set an attendance limit.

On the front page of the May 13 edition, reporter Todd Braunstein writes, "But since less than half of the student body voted. the referendum will not be binding but advisory, in accordance with rules approved by the council." Justin Label '97   Chair   Student Affairs Committee   Undergraduate Council