Jewett to Resign As College Dean At End of '94-'95

Plans to Continue Working at Harvard

By Ethan M. Tucker

Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57 announced this week that he will step down at the end of the next academic year, saying he wants to devote more time to personal interests.

Although his future career plans are as yet undecided, Jewett said he still wants to work at Harvard, where he has been employed for the past 40 years.

Earlier this month, when Jewett said he would probably step down at some point in the near future, he had hinted that he might go into retirement.

"My future plans are not clearly formed, with the exception that I intend and plan to remain at Harvard," Jewett said in an interview.

The search for a new dean will most likely begin in the fall. Dean of the Faculty Jeremy R. Knowles will be in charge of the search process.

Potential successors to Jewett include Dean of admission William R. Fitzsimmons '67, Dean of Freshmen Elizabeth S. Nathans and Associate Dean of the college Thomas A. Dingman '67.

Fitzsimmons is considered a strong candidate since both Jewett and former Dean of the College Fred L. Glimp '50 served as dean of admissions before becoming dean of the College.

Next spring, Jewett will complete 10 years as dean, giving him the longest tenure at that post since World War II.

Jewett, who is 58, began his Harvard career as a senior advisor to first-years, following his graduation from both the College and the Business School.

After several years working in the Freshmen Dean's Office, he became assistant director of admissions in 1964.

In 1972, Jewett was appointed dean of admissions and financial aid, aposition he held until 1985, when he became deanof the College.

Looking back on his tenure as clean, Jewettsaid the best part of the job has been workingwith students.

"I think I have had a pretty good relationshipwith undergraduates," he said. "From myperspective, [that relationship] has been aparticularly important and meaningful part of myexperience."

Jewett said he has loved working with so manytalented students, and that he hopesundergraduates have felt his office was alwaysopen to them.

In recent weeks, student leaders have expressedregret over Jewett's decision to leave in recentweeks.

"I think I speak for the U.C. when I say thatwe all see him as an uncle," said Carey W. Gabay'94, president of the Undergraduate Council.

Dennis K. Lin '94, former chair of theBisexual, Gay and lesbian Students Association,said it would be unfortunate" if Jewett were tostep down.

University administrators also praised Jewett.

"Fred Jewett has been a wonderful team ofHarvard College," Knowles said yesterday in astatement to The Crimson. "His wisdom andsupportiveness have shaped the undergraduateexperience, and his thoughtful good humor hasimproved the life of the dean of the FAS, too."

Of all his accomplishments, Jewett said he wasmost proud of his part in planning the majorrenovations to campus which are expected toimprove student life.

"I feel we will have made real progress inimproving the physical environment forundergraduates," he said.

Jewett also pointed to the implementation ofnon-ordered housing choice as one of hissignificant accomplishments. The College moved tothe current housing lottery system in 1990.

But Jewett said he still wants to accomplish agreat deal in the upcoming year. He said futureissues for the College include strengtheningadvising in the houses, enhancing the houses' rolein education and expanding Harvard's resources forextracurriculars.

One challenge Jewett said he will have to dealwith next year is the displacement of a number ofstudent groups due to the renovations in MemorialHall.

"[We must try] to make sure that there isadequate space and support for the full range ofundergraduate activities that we have,' he said