Quayles May Visit IOP

Former V.P. and Wife Offered Fellowship

By Dov P. Grossman

Former Vice President Dan Quayle and his wife Marilyn have been invited to be visiting fellows at the Institute of Politics (IOP) next fall.

The Quayles have been offered the Heffernan Fellowship, according to Charles T. Royer, IOP director.

Royer said yesterday that the fellowship "brings people from politics to the institute for a two to three day period" and added that it is reserved "for more senior-level political people.

According to Royer, the Quayles "will meet with students and talk with faculty" if they accept the fellowship.

Matthew T. Anestis '95, chair of the IOP Student Advisory Committee (SAC), the group in charge of inviting fellows, said the fellowship "gives students the opportunity to have a little bit closer contact [with fellows]."

Anestis said the SAC decided to invite Dan Quayle because "he is statesman who has been extremely active." He added that the Quayles have "done a lot for public service in their careers."

Royer said the IOP's "mission is to bring into the institute people who are active in politics at all levels."

Royer said, however, that "nothing has been confirmed yet" and that "not dates have been set."

Quayle was unavailable for comment yesterday and members of his staff in Indianapolis said they did not know if the Quayles would accept the invitation. But they added that Quayle "does not yet have firms plans for the fall."

An intern said that "all invitations [for Quayle to make appearances] are pending until he gets back from his book tour on July 1.