Worker Suspended After Story

Union Won't Help

The Fogg Art Museum has suspended a museum attendant suspected of being a source for a March 14 Crimson story about the mistreatment of the Fogg security staff.

The attendant, Rose Lewis, was not quoted in the story, but sources in the museum say the supervisory staff suspects her of giving a critical staff suspects her of giving a critical interview to The Crimson. Repeated attempts to contact Lewis for this article were unsuccessful.

The stated reason for Lewis' suspension was that she altered a doctor's note in January. But museum sources said no reason was given for the delay between the infraction and the punishment, and some employees have noted that no mention of the doctor's note was made until after the article ran.

"There's no explanation for the timing other than retaliation [for the article]," one source said.

In addition, sources familiar with Lewis' case said Michelle M. Trifiro, chief of security at the Fogg, produced no evidence demonstrating the note had been altered. Security supervisors at the museum have said one person came forward to accuse the attendant, but neither that person's name nor their statement has been presented to Lewis.

Trifiro did not return a phone call seeking comment for this story.

Sources charged further Local 254 of the Service Employees International failed to provide Lewis with a union representative.

Kathleen Conway, the business agent for Local254, has failed to game a steward to representFogg museum attendants in their grievances againstthe management. Conway has said she will handlegrievances herself, but the agent has delayedaction on numerous worker complaints for months.

In the Lewis case, Conway refused to let themuseum attendant pursue a grievance, sources said.

Conway has told numerous Local 254 employeesthat they should not take complaints to the campuspress. In a memo obtained by The Crimson earlierthis spring, Conway cited leaks to this newspaperas one reason for her decision to remove numerousunion stewards from their posts.

Conway has refused to return repeated telephonecalls over the past two months.

In the March 14 story, part-time attendantscharged that they are forced to work full-timeschedules without overtime pay. And full-timeemployees said they are afraid to take sick timewhen they are ill for fear of losing their jobs.

Attendants also said Harvard has delayedprinting copies of the workers' union contract forabout a year