K-School Programs Enrollees Criticized

By Todd F. Braunstein

When you tell the folks back home that you attend Harvard, the worst you'll usually get is al roll of the eyes and a hostile "Oh, I see."

But when Maryland discovered that seven state officials had enrolled in a three-week summer school class at the Kennedy School--at a total taxpayer expense of more then $40,000--there was a mild public outcry.

Two of the officials, Budget Secretary Charles L. Benton, Jr. and Juvenile Services Secretary Mary Ann Saar, are political appointees who may soon be out of jobs.

Due to a state law barring secondterm governors from succeeding themselves, Gov. William D. Schaefer--and, potentially, his cabinet--will be vacating office in six months.

The Kennedy School program annually draws state and local officials from around the country. The first of the sessions ends today.

At the courses, participants compare notes with their peers on case studies and problem-solving in government.

The cost of the courses is $7,600 per person, although Sara is attending on a full scholarship.

Several state politicians have attacked the government's decision to send the officials.

Sen. Laurence Levitan, who chairs the state's Budget and Taxation Committee, wasquoted in the Baltimore Sun as saying, "It seemsto me that at the end of an eight-year term, youcertainly don't need to spend the money to sendbureaucrats away when you know that their tenurein state government is probably about over."

"Let's fact it," he added. "The governor is notrunning for re-election, and certain things he'sdoing now, you can criticize him, and so what?"

Levitan's office did not return a phone call.

In the face of the controversy, Schaefer'soffice has stood by the decision.

Page W. Boinest, Schaefer's press secretary,noted in an interview yesterday that Maryland hasregularly sent legislators and governmentofficials to Harvard for the summer courses.

Although she conceded that Benton and Saar arelikely to be replaced by the new administration,Boinest pointed out that the other five officialswill probably stay.

"The other five folks are at places ingovernment [where they will] not be replaced andtraditionally will stay," she said. "One of thefolks [attending the class] now has worked forthree or four governors."

The mid-level officials include an assistantbudget secretary, a deputy secretary and anassistant secretary in the Department of NaturalResources, a deputy secretary in the Department ofHuman Resources and the executive director ofMaryland's Social Services Administration.

Boinest said that the only potential problemcould be with Benton and Saar.

But Saar is attending on a full scholarship.And as for Benton, "who's to say that he's notgoing to continue to have some role in theMaryland state government?" Boinest said. "We donot practice age discrimination."

Despite the negative statements from some ofthe politicians, the press secretary said therehas been no backlash from private citizens.

"I think most of the people appreciate the factthat the state is committed to [improvinggovernment]," she said