Sword May Have Admitted Theft

D.A.'s Statement Says Former Event Treasurer Confessed to Stealing $12K

By Todd F. Braunstein

David G. Sword '93 admitted to authorities that he stole up to $12,000 from the Jimmy Fund in connection with Eliot House's An Evening With Champions ice skating show, according to a document written by a Middlesex County assistant district attorney.

The document also says that Charles K. Lee '93, a former co-chair of the event, told the 1993 Evening With Championships co-chairs that payments to him in connection with the scandal were "legitimate reimbursements."

But later, Lee told them that "the economy was bad, the money was for them to do as they saw fit and he did not care if the Jimmy Fund received a dollar," according.

The Toronto Star has also learned that Sword has left his job in a Canadian advertising firm.

This new comes in the wake of Lee's recent resignation from CUC International, the firm for which he has worked since he graduated from Harvard.

Lee co-chaired the 1992 Evening With Champions exhibition; Sword was treasurer of both the 1991 and 1992 shows.

Sword's mother denied that her son cited any dollar figure. But, she added, "I wasn't there."

She declined further comment.

Sword himself could not be reached for comment, and his attorney, Robert Canty Sr., did not return numerous phone calls.

Canty did tell the Boston Globe last week that the $12,000 figure on which Sword was indicted "sounds a little high."

Lee is not speaking to the press. His attorney, even upon having the paragraph read to him, declined comment.

Lee told The Crimson in an interview last summer that he made $50,000 in withdrawals from the Eliot House Jimmy fund account to pay off longstanding Evening With Champions debts.

Jonathan S. Kolodner '94 and Kelly L. Morrison '94, the co-chairs of the 1993 An Evening With Champions, are both traveling and were unavailable for comment.

The document, part of the public record as the Commonwealth's statement of the case, was written by Mary Beth D. Cassidy, the Middlesex County assistant district attorney prosecuting the case.

This Evidence may have been pivotal in the decision by a grand jury to indict Lee and Sword last week.

Lee was indicted on 58 counts of larceny over $250 and eight counts of larceny under $250 in connection with his alleged pilfering of nearly $120,000 from the Jimmy Fund.

Sword is being charged with one count of larceny over $250 for allegedly stealing more than $12,000.

Cassidy, on vacation, could not be reached forcomment.

Jill Reilly, a spokesperson for the districtattorney's office, said the record of sword'sstatement was confidential.

Larceny over $250 is a felony punishable by upto five years in prison, while larceny under $250is a misdemeanor carrying up to 18 months in jail.

The arraignment date has not been set, but willlikely occur in the second week of August, Reillysaid yesterday