Commencement Viewing Impeded

By Sarah J. Schaffer

Getting a good seat at Commencement is usually hard enough.

But for the disabled visitors at this year's proceedings, catching a glimpse of a robed Rudenstine was even more difficult than usual.

During the morning ceremony, chairs were placed in front of the disabled section to make room for distinguished guests, according to Galen Silversmith, who suffers from chronic fatigue syndrome and is the brother of Jol A. Silversmith '94.

And in the afternoon, Galen Silversmith said, "there was no security," and "people who weren't handicapped were sitting in the handicapped section."

According to University Marshal Richard M. Hunt, the disabled section is about a quarter of the way back from the Tercentenary Theatre stage, with a wide path in front to facilitate easy exits and entrances.

Hunt said the University does the best it canto accommodate disabled guests.

"We try to please everyone we can," Hunt said."We save 175 places [for the disabled]. We hirethree people to help them. I am sorry."

But Galen Silversmith said he was not at allpleased with the University's actions.

"People with mobility problems couldn't see,"Galen Silversmith said.

Those placed in front of them "came from thethird special guest section," he said.

Special guests include dignitaries and otherluminaries.

"The marshals tried putting the guests behindthe student section," Galen Silversmith said.

According to Jol Silversmith, an unidentifiedCollege administrator objected.

"The ushers were complaining, and people in thehandicapped section complained" that nothing wasever done to fix the situation, Galen Silversmithsaid. Some of the disabled guests emphasized thatin the case of an emergency, they might not beable to move quickly or at all.

Galen Silversmith added, "People who were movedstood up in front of" some of the disabled guests."It is impossible for people in wheel chairs tostand up," he said.

Hunt also said it is hard to believe that suchan incident occurred in the disabled section. Headded that sometimes unforeseen circumstancescause seating arrangements to change.

"Nobody gets bumped," Hunt said. "Visibility isnot the best for anybody. Chairs are put up latein order to make room for as many people aspossible."

G. William Winborn contributed to thereporting of this story