Council Creates Vote Commission

By Sarah J. Schaffer

In response to allegations of impropriety in last year's Undergraduate Council elections, the council has appointed a three-person commission to supervise the balloting this fall, according to Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III.

Former council President Carey W. Gabay '94, John A. Mann '92-'94 and Aldonna Klottey '95 will supervise both the campus-wide elections and the elections for council officials, Gabay said yesterday.

"In the past, it has been alleged that the people who are running the elections are trying to control who gets on the council," said Gabay, who is a first-year student at Harvard Law School. "We're trying to open up the pool a lot more, make it accessible."

Last fall, the council took control of the elections from Michael P. Beys '94 and Randall A. Fine '96. Beys and Fine, who were both running for posts, allegedly under-publicized the elections for their own benefit.

In the same election, council members disputed the vote-counting in the vice-presidential race. And two years ago, Maya G. Prabhu '94 stuffed ballot boxes in a race for committee chair.

Epps said that although he will consult with the election commission on rules in the next few weeks, the administra- tion will take a hands-off approach to the election itself.

"I think that the administration has to stay out of it, because in principle it should be the voice of students and it doesn't help for us to be involved," Epps said. "I really regret all the interventions from last year. I hope the three wise persons will solve those problems."

The top contenders in the presidential race are likely to be Joshua D. Liston '95, Brandon C. Gregoire '95 and Hassen A. Sayeed '96. If she returns to Harvard, Anjalee C. Davis '96 could be a candidate as well.

Gabay admitted that he has personal ties to some of those running, but said he thinks that will not be an issue.

"I think we balance each other out well, all three of us," Gabay said. "In all honesty, I'm friends with both Josh and Brandon. At the same time, it's no secret that I don't get along with Anjalee."

"But I don't have any enemies in the council, and I don't support one person over another, and I'm sure I could put away any feelings I might have against Anjalee," Gabay said.

Gabay said he sees this commission as a way to make up for some of last year's problems.

"I felt really responsible for a lot of the things that occurred last year," Gabay said. "Whoever becomes president, I want to make sure they have a nice firm start. The worst thing is for any president to start out with a scandal."

Keeping closer watch on the election is an idea that sprang from the council's reevaluation committee last year. "Reevaluation pays attention to maturing issues that may not be of particular interest to an individual," said former press secretary John Feeney '97.

He said the election commission is part of an attempt to attract students and especially first-years to the council. Other plans include postering and placing ads in campus publications