Barrett Attacks Rivals' Integrity

Charges Challengers With Pandering to Special Interests

By Jeffrey N. Gell

Trailing heavily in polls with only 24 hours to go before the primary, state Sen. Michael J. Barrett '70 (D-Cambridge) charged in a debate this weekend that his challengers have consistently pandered to special interests.

During Friday afternoon's taping of Channel 56's "Let's Talk Politics," which aired last night, Barrett questioned the integrity of his Democratic opponents--state Rep. Mark Roosevelt '78 (D-Beacon Hill) and former state Sen. George Bachrach (D-Watertown).

While all three Democratic candidates have criticized Gov. William f. Weld '66 for catering to his wealthy contributors, Barrett asked why both Bachrach and Roosevelt have accepted contributions from political action committees (PACs).

"How can we deal with our own potential ethics violations?" Barrett asked, unfurling a two-foot-long white scroll detailing approximately $30,000 in PAC contributions to the Roosevelt campaign.

Roosevelt asserted that his acceptance of PAC money did not constitute an ethical violation because it came primarily form labor unions, not organizations representing wealthy people.

"I'm happy to accept their dollars," Roosevelt said. "That is how these people can participate in politics."

Bachrach, in response to Barrett's accusation, said that perhaps Barrett has no accepted PAC money because nobody has offered him any.

"I'm not aware of a single group that has endorsed you," Bachrach said to Barrett.

But the Cambridge state senator responded that he has turned down contributions from organizations.

"It created the impression of a conflict of interest," he said.

After the debate Bachrach said Barrett may have attacked him and Roosevelt out of desperation.

"Mike has been consistently in third place," Bachrach said. "Negative campaigning is the last resort. It may hurt the person lobbing the hand grenades."

During the rest of the debate, the candidates reiterated the themes central to their campaigns.

All candidates characterized Weld as aloof and uncaring, while admitting that the administration of former Gov. Michael S. Dukakis had several faults, particularly in fiscal management.

Bachrach, as expected, described himself as a "progressive Democrat" despite the fact that "a frustrated public" currently wants Democratic leaders "to be more like the Republicans."

Bachrach played up his commitment to the graduated income tax as an example of his liberal politics.

Roosevelt, pledging to change the Democratic party, said in his administration he will "emphasize personal responsibility and opportunity."

And Barrett, referring to his 1990 article in the Atlantic Monthly on education reform, pledged to improve educational standards in Massachusetts.

"I want Massachusetts once again to have the best schools in the U.S.," Barrett said.

Dwight D. Robson, a Roosevelt campaign spokesperson, said yesterday that the Roosevelt campaign's most recent poll places Roosevelt in the lead with 40%, Bachrach second with 12% and Barrett third with 7%, leaving 41% of likely Democratic primary voters undecided.

But David M. Osborne, Barrett's campaign manager, countered that he has sensed some movement this weekend of undecided voters toward Barrett.

"It's breaking our way," Osborne said.

In order to woo undecided voters, Osborne said Barrett has placed a $40,000 media buy for advertisements between Labor Day and the primary.

Robson said Roosevelt will have spent only $300,000 on advertising during the same period.