Field Hockey Defeated By Tough Wildcats

By Anand S. Joshi

Harvard's women's field hockey team lost a hard-fought 3-1 contest Friday against nationally-ranked University of New Hampshire at Durham, New Hampshire.

The Crimson squad (1-1 overall, 0-0 Ivy), intimidated by the Wildcats' 18th-rank status, gave up two early goals and could not recover in time to avoid its first loss of the season.

The Wildcats pounced on a defensive miscommunication by the Crimson midway through the first half to go up 1-0.

"We were tremendously tentative early on," captain Megan Colligan said. "The first goal really put us on our heels."

Although the Crimson rebounded immediately after the goal with a penalty corner, it could not completely turn the tide and New Hampshire scored another quick goal before the half ended.

The Crimson closed the score to 2-1 early in the second half on a goal by junior forward Melanie Allen.

Allen collected a ricochet off the cross-bar and deposited the ball post the fallen New Hampshire goalie.

Harvard junior goalie Jessica Milhollin put the early goals behind her and sparkled in net throughout the second half, keeping the stickwomen in striking distance.

"After that first strange goal the [Milhollin] had a tremendous second half," Colligan said. "She played an excellent game."

The Crimson had its chances in the second half, including a powerful shot from the top of the circle by freshman midfielder Anna Chai.

By the end of the contest, Harvard matched the Wildcats with six penalty corners each.

The wildcats notched their third tally with 18 seconds left in the contest off a penalty corner.

"We could've matched up against them," Colligan said. "But you could tell that New Hampshire had a couple of games more experience."

In the course of the game, the Crimson suffered another loss as freshman back Beck stringer injured her fool.

"It was an unfortunate injury," Colligan said. "But we have some able players who will have a chance to step up."

The injury will be a serious set back to a back line that lost three seniors to graduation last year.

Coming off of the 3-1 loss to the Wildcats, Harvard Coach Sue Caples looks to improve the young defense.

"We need to limit the opponents scoring opportunities," Caples said. "We have to deny shots better."

The Crimson will try to rebound from this loss in a contest on Tuesday against another talented squad, sixth ranked UConn.