Davis Not Enrolled This Term

Leader of Council Reform Efforts Stays Away From Harvard

By Todd F. Braunstein

Harvard's most relentless student crusader appears to have given up for now.

After a year of organizing several hyperpublicized--but ultimately unsuccessful--Undergraduate Council reform movements, Anjalee C. Davis '96 has decided not to return to Harvard this semester.

Davis has officially notified the Registrar's office of her decision.

Davis had initiated the Charter for Student Government Reform last spring, a group whose purpose was to elect to the council this fall candidates who endorsed a platform of reform.

Davis' departure is as mysterious as it is surprising. She did not return numerous messages left with house-mates at her summer residence in San Francisco.

And her supervisor from a summer internship with Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) said Davis has dropped out of sight. The supervisor said Davis, without announcement or apparent reason, simply stopped showing up for work.

The former council member did not return several phone calls, the supervisor said, recommending that The Crimson contact San Francisco police.

Davis and the Council

Davis cared passionately about council reform. She spent hundreds of hours planning, subjected herself to public ridicule and even had a run in with the Administrative Board-- all in the name of student government reform.

After transferring from Wellesley last fall, Davis spent a semester pushing for reforms as a representative from North House.

She resigned from the council in February to take a semester off from school.

But that semester, Davis rocketed to campus prominence by launching a petition which sent five council reform measures to student referendum.

The Davis referendum would have implemented popular election of executives, semiannual general elections and a repeal of last year's $10 term-bill fee hike, among other things.

The students overwhelmingly voted for reform--but since less than a quarter of the College participated, the referendum's results were not binding on the council.

Council members criticized Davis for her contentiousness. She described council members as arrogant and referred to them as "desperate leaders clinging to power" when they tried to block her petition.