Ferrara, Hu Earn Ivy Football Honors

By Sean D. Wissman

While the verdict is still out on many aspects of the 1994 Crimson football team after its 39-32 win over Columbia last weekend, the offensive backfield isn't one of them.

The team's "skilled positions" were the core of an offensive unit which mustered 245 yards through the air and 179 yards on the ground against a pesky Lion defense.

That dominating performance--easily one of the best Crimson efforts in the last five seasons--received recognition this past week as senior quarterback Vin Ferrara and sophomore tailback Eion Hu received league and regional awards.

Ferrara came away with the most honors. He received what is called the "triple-crown" of regional weekly football honors--Offensive Player of the Week by the Ivy League and the ECAC, and the Gold Helmet Award as the top offensive player in New England. In addition, Ferrara was named Harvard Athlete of the Week.

Against Columbia, Ferrara completed 22 of 32 passes for 245 yards and two touchdowns and did not throw an interception. He also carried the ball 11 times for 30 yards and a touchdown.

That touchdown, scored with 21 seconds left in the game, proved to be the game-winner. He ran in the two-point conversion moments later.

Hu, for his part, was named Ivy League Rookie of the Week.

In his first varsity start, the hardworking running back rushed 18 times for 73 yards and had touchdown runs of three and four yards. Hu also caught two passes for 11 yards.

As a side note, both athletes hail from the land of turnpikes. Ferrara comes from Floram Park, New Jersey and the Delbarton School, while Hu comes from Ringwood, New Jersey and Depaul High School. IVY LEAGUE STANDINGS   Overall  Ivies Team  W  L  W  L Harvard  1  0  1  0 Cornell  1  0  1  0 Yale  1  0  1  0 Pennsylvania  1  0  0  0 Dartmouth  0  1  0  0 Brown  0  1  0  1 Columbia  0  1  0  1 Princeton  0  1  0  1

SATURDAY'S GAMES

Bucknell at Harvard, 1:00

Pennsylvania at Dartmouth, 1:30

Brown at Rhode Island, 1:00

Colgate at Princeton, 1:00

Columbia at Lehigh, 1:00

Cornell at Fordham, 1:00

Holy Cross at Yale, 1:00

SATURDAY'S GAMES

Bucknell at Harvard, 1:00

Pennsylvania at Dartmouth, 1:30

Brown at Rhode Island, 1:00

Colgate at Princeton, 1:00

Columbia at Lehigh, 1:00

Cornell at Fordham, 1:00

Holy Cross at Yale, 1:00