Undergrads Start New Health Magazine

By Sandra S. Park

As enthusiasm for health care reform wanes on Capitol Hill, a group of Harvard students are hoping to push health issues to the forefront of campus discussion, by starting a magazine.

Caduceus, a publication that will concentrate on medical and health issues, officially made its debut at registration. The idea for the magazine was born last semester, during the stress of reading period.

"Health involves everybody and there isn't a publication that focuses only on medical issues," says Rachel Y. Chong '96, the founder and chief editor of Caduceus.

Member Elaine Yeung '97 adds that Caduceus will cover a broader range of topics than other science-related publications.

"We want to integrate health, policy and economics, providing the most up-to-date information on issues that are relevant to people, not just pure science," she says.

According to Chong and Yeung, possible article topics include trends in medical research, medical education and student health issues. The first issue will concentrate on the common cold, antibiotic resistant bacteria and gene therapy.

Chong notes that the magazine's target audience extends beyond people interested in pursuing health careers. It will be written in non-technical language, she adds.

Besides the dissemination of medical information, Chong hopes the magazine will give more people an opportunity to write health-related articles.

"This organization aims to be friendly," she says. "We welcome anybody with a genuine interest in medicine."

Yeung agrees, saying that "many of us wanted to write about health, not just read about it."

After the first meeting last week, Chong estimates a staff of about thirty people. She says that about thirty people. She says that about half the staff are pre-med students.

"I was happy with the turnout and want to emphasize that people who want to join do not have to be premed or science majors." Chong says.

Caduceus aims to publish once a semester. The first publication and distribution date has been set for early December.

Funding will rely on an Undergraduate Council grant, advertising and donations, Chong says.