U.C. Filing Deadline Extended

Council Election Officials React to Dearth of Applications

By Jonathan A. Lewin

The deadline for students planning to run for the Undergraduate Council was extended yesterday because not enough students from several districts applied, council officials said.

The three-person committee over-seeing the Council's elections decided yesterday to accept applications today, according to Carey W. Gabay '94, a committee member.

"There weren't enough applicants from Dudley and Dunster and maybe two or three other historically underrepresented districts," he said.

"From Dudley we would hope to have four [applications] for three seats," Gabay said. "From Dunster we would be near-happy to have six people for five seats."

Only two people from Dunster and two people from Dudley applied, said John A. Mann '92-'94, a committee member. About 100 students applied overall.

Gabay said the committee had done all the advertising it could.

"Procedurally we did the right thing, we postered the campus with ads," Gabay said. "But we just didn't get enough applications."

The committee was established following charges that past elections were not well publicized because students running for office were overseeing the elections.

"The lack of applications doesn't surprise me," said Hassen A. Sayeed '96, a former council member who has decided not to run this fall. "Many former council members and officers have become disillusioned and disenchanted with the U.C."

"They want to spend their remaining years at Harvard in an organization which is less partisan and political and where there actions mean something," added Sayeed, once considered a top contender for council president.

Gabay said he will meet with Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III this morning to discuss the extension.

Joshua D. Liston '95, former vice president of the council, said last night he was unaware of the extension.

Asked whether the lack of applications relates to students' perceptions of the council, Liston said "no."

"The fact that they are extending means that the elections can be fair," Liston said.

One former executive board member said some students decided not to run after certain controversial council members announced they intend to return.

"The executive board members that fostered infighting and partisan feeling are coming back and running for office," he said.

The committee, which consists of three former council members not running for re-election--Gabay, Mann and Aldona A. Clottey '95--was formed to provide an impartial election process