University Police Offer Plan for House Security

But Funds Lacking for Many Proposals

By Victor Chen

Citing concerns about security in the undergraduate houses, Harvard Police Chief Paul E. Johnson has proposed six initiatives to broaden the community policing efforts on campus.

Each of Johnson's proposals seeks to get students and faculty more involved in campus security and give Harvard's police officers and security guards a stronger, friendlier presence in the community.

Johnson has promised similar reforms since he became chief in December 1983, department sources said, but has so far been unable to deliver. The chief also conceded that many of the new initiatives will not be implemented until 1997. Those which require more officers will have to wait until the department's budget grows.

Details of the changes came in a memo distributed to members of a sub-committee of the Committee on College Life last month. The chief also met with members of the committee last week.

Johnson said he has been trying to implement community policing measures such as these for the last four or five years. He said several house residents have expressed concern that police officers and guards are too removed from the people they protect.

The first initiative will be to appoint police liaisons to the houses, the chief said. These liaisons, which will be selected from a group of sergeants and licutenants who volunteer, will participate in meetings with masters, chairs of house committees and proctors.

Johnson said this would offer a link for a "more direct [police] response to situations" on campus.

A similar initiative would designate Harvard security guards as liaisons to the Houses.

"[The liaisons] would be directly responsible for delivering guard service," Johnson said. "[They'd] see if we provide the services that are needed."

Herbert J. Vallier, the police department's assistant director for finance and administration, said such a liaison will visit periodically to advise house residents about security measures. The liaison will also listen to and act upon residents' concerns, Vallier said.

A third proposal calls for publishing information in house newsletters about crime incidents now detailed only in the police blotter.

"I recognized that there were people who have never seen a blotter before," Johnson said. "People should be more aware of the types of incidents in their area."

A fourth initiative would allow students to staff the house security offices. This would permit guards the freedom to patrol house grounds more frequently and increase their visibility.

Other initiatives include lengthening the hours of guard coverage and implementing officer foot patrols of selected areas.

Johnson said that liaisons should begin working with the houses as soon as February, if the masters approve the program. "I don't anticipate any negative feedback," the chief said.

Members of the committee, which is compromised of members of the administration, house masters and other faculty members, praised Johnson's proposals.

"It's certainly in the spirit of what we have in mind, and I applaud the initiatives," said Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III. "I think [they] would be effective. Anything that strengthens the partnership between the police and other sectors of campus is a plus."

House masters also praised the plan.

"The masters haven't discussed them as a group, but the masters on the committee were unanimously pleased by the proposals," Quincy House Master Michael Shinagel said. Shinagel said he and the other masters were happy about the "spirit of cooperation" Johnson showed in proposing the initiatives.

In spite of the committee's strong approval for all the measures, Johnson said he does not expect to implement most of them for at least another year and a half. Many of the proposals, such as the one for foot patrols, will require additional officers if the police do not want to compromise their regular activities.

"You'd have to take [personnel] from somewhere else, [but then] you can disrupt safety and security in another place," Vallier said.

Additional funding for more officers will have to be approved by the administration before these more expensive initiatives can be implemented, Johnson said. But $50,000 to $60,000 per officer, the possibility of passing them is slim.

"I don't see that as happening [soon]," Johnson said. "Money is tight."

Johnson said he hopes that community policing by Harvard will grow to the point where the department can reserve some police officers as ombudsmen for the Cambridge community, acting to help residents resolve persistent problems or annoyances--such as safety hazards--in their areas.

"We have very little opportunity to follow up on these things," Johnson said. "[These officers] would facilitate the process."

Johnson said Harvard officers are already being encouraged to make contact with students in the houses. But such efforts are "piecemeal" and depend on whether they have any free officers, which happens rarely.

"To the extent to which have it [now], it isn't quite to the level it should be," Vallier said. "We can improve guard services, community service interaction."

Johnson said community policing demands "consistent responsibility," which means a community liaison can't be at the beck and call of the dispatcher at all hours.

"It's a full-time assignment," Johnson said.

According to Johnson, the concept of community policing has been around for more than 10 years, ever since Houston Police Commissioner Lee Brown implemented initiatives in his city to bring his police force closer to the community. Since then, the idea has spread to other cities.

Johnson said he sees the new initiatives as another step in the Harvard police's continual efforts to improve its work.

"There are changes every year, internal and external," Johnson said. "We are constantly seeking ways to improve our own services.

House masters also praised the plan.