MEN'S SWIMMING SINKS THE NAVY

By Anand S. Joshi

It's a good sign in sports when you're not feeling that hot but still manage to knock off some tough competition.

Just ask the Harvard men's swimming team, which sank Navy, 195-105, Saturday at Blodgett Pool.

Going into the meet, the Crimson had toned down its practices to prime itself for the pivotal Harvard-Yale-Princeton meet, which will be held at Princeton February 4th. While the change in the practice regiment should reap benefits down the road, it was expected to hurt the aquamen in its meet against Navy.

"We had just begun our resting before the Navy meet so none of us really felt that good," captain Tim Carver said. "But we still swam well."

The Crimson set the tone for the day in the opening relays where its two teams finished one-two.

"It was really demoralizing for them when our second relay team beat their first," Carver said.

What followed was a run of strong performances, including a 21.27 second performance by sophomore Bryon Butts in the 50m freestyle, resulting in a sound victory for Harvard.