Dental Services Head Fasciano Dead at 60

Dr. Robert Fasciano, the director of the University Dental Service, died last Monday at his home in Reading, the University said. He was 60.

Dr. Fasciano, a periodontist, was a Somerville native. He graduated with a degree in chemistry from Tufts in 1956 and later earned his doctorate at the Harvard School of Dental Medicine.

Dr. Fasciano was both an instructor and a member of the dental service at Harvard for 30 years. He had been director of the service since 1972.

A University statement said he particularly enjoyed guiding periodontal students through the Harvard program.

Dr. Fasciano is survived by by his father, Alphonse of Somerville; his wife Meade; children Robin Fasciano-Gianis of Easthampton, N.Y., Karen of Melrose and Robert Fasciano of Baltimore; brothers William of East Sandwich and John of Reading; and sisters Marie Fitzgerald and Janet Carey of Reading.

A memorial service was held in Memorial Church on Friday. The family suggests that contributions in lieu of flowers be made to the Robert W. Fasciano Memorial Fund, Harvard University Health Services, 75 Mt. Auburn St., Cambridge, MA 02138.