International Student Group Formed

By Justin D. Lerer

When faced with the rigors of academics and the difficulties of living far from home, international students can now turn to the Woodbridge Society for support and advice.

"Many of the international students come from very different societies, and it takes them some time to get acclimated socially and academically," said Manjari Mahajan '98, a founding member of the society which met last night at Weld Hall.

The Woodbridge Society seeks to ease the sometimes difficult transition to a new country and college, founders said.

"[The organization's purpose is] to introduce international students into the college and college life, and to provide a support network," said Pui-Yung Tam '98, another founding member.

The society was formed by Soo Jung Hyun '95 late last fall. Hyun recruited then first-years el-Gaili, Mahajan, Tam and Kaniaru Wacieni to form an international organization. The group then set about contacting various administrative offices.

The society also offers a Mentor Program and a Student Contacts Program, both of which match first-years with upperclass students from their country or region of the world.

The group has participated in a welcoming reception and panel discussion for international students, and the Mentor Program has held its first meeting.

Ahmed T. el-Gaili '98 described the meetings as "fairly successful."

"We were actually surprised by the high turnout," he said, estimating that more than 100 students attended the panel and mentor meeting.

The society also organizes a monthly baraza (Swahili for open house) and dinner with a faculty member, such as that held last night in the Weld common room. Participants discuss issues relevant to international students while eating international loods.

The society hopes to serve as a liaison between the students and the Admissions Office, Freshman Dean's Office and the International Office, el-Gaili said.

Members said they have planned several programs with those goals in mind.

The society is working with the Admissions committee to compile region-specific advice letters to send to potential foreign applicants, Mahajan said.

The society is also producing an advice booklet for international students, el-Gaili said.

But membership is not limited to international students.

"It's a place where international people and American people can get together and meet each other," Tam said.

The efforts of the group to help international students have not escaped the attention of the administration.

"This group attempts to provide fellowship for international students. They've succeeded wonderfully so far," said Assistant Dean of Freshmen Eleanor Sparagana.

The society takes its name from Benjamin Woodbridge class of 1642, Harvard's first international student. This Englishman "aptly symbolizes the old and distinguished tradition of international students at Harvard," according to the organization's information sheet