W. Soccer Battles With Cornell to Scoreless Tie

By David S. Griffel

The best thing that one can say about the Harvard women's soccer game against Cornell on Saturday is that the Crimson didn't lose.

On a weekend in which most Harvard sports took a licking, the Crimson (6-1-1, 1-0-1 Ivy) left Ithaca, N.Y. after a discouraging 0-0 overtime tie with the Big Red (3-2-2, 2-0-1).

Harvard's output was a far cry from its five-goal second half against Boston College the previous Wednesday, as the team failed to convert any of its numerous first-half chances.

"Cornell is a better team than B.C.," sophomore midfielder Emily Stauffer said. "This game had a lot more intensity, and their style of play was tough for us to adjust to. They put a lot of people in the back, and we didn't sort out our numbers quick enough."

Neverthless, the Crimson came very close to winning in the second overtime period, but freshman Devon Bingham was thwarted twice on Harvard's best socring chances of the day.

Cornell goalie Marybeth Bell barely got her hand on a Bingham shot from 30 yards out to send the ball just wide of the upper right corner. Bingham hit the crossbar on another blast.

Harvard also outchanced Cornell in the first half, taking 13 shots to the Big Red's two, but Harvard lacked the finishing touch then as well.

Bell--a transfer student from LeMoyne--thwarted the Crimson several times, and Harvard also missed open shots, including a redirection from the six-yard line that sailed over the Cornell net.

The Big Red was much more focused in the second half, as the two teams traded control of the game. However, both Bell (13 saves) and freshman Jennifer Burney (six saves) stood their ground.

"We had a couple of good offensive chances early," co-captain Sara Noonan said. "We didn't capitalize on them and allowed Cornell to say in the game."

The overtime sessions were more of the same. Both teams had chances, especially Cornell.

The Big Red took nine of its 17 total shots in the 30 extra minutes, but only six of them were on goal, and Burney was there to corral them.

"They really dominated in the air...but I wasn't getting shelled," Burney said.

Twelve hours of driving for a 0-0 tie is not what one would call a very productive weekend, but Harvard is still in good standing--one game behind Cornell with one fewer game played than the Big Red.

The Crimson was also 1-0-1 last year after two Ivy League games, and it stayed in contention for the league title throughout the season.

"Obviously we didn't want a tie, but we are still in control of our own destiny," Stauffer said. "We have a whole week to sort out any kins we may have."

Harvard hosts Ancient Eight rival Pennsylvania next Saturday at 11 a.m. and Colgate the following day at 2 p.m. Harvard  0 Cornell  0

Tie, 0-0 at Robinson Alumni Field Harvard  0  0  0  0  --0 Cornell  0  0  0  0  --0

Scoring

No Scoring.

Seves: Har--Burney 6; Cor--Bell 13.

Scoring

No Scoring.

Seves: Har--Burney 6; Cor--Bell 13.

Scoring

No Scoring.

Seves: Har--Burney 6; Cor--Bell 13.