Wojcik Leads Men's Booters

By Shira A. Springer

In the competitive world of college athletics, a single game can make or break a season.

A single goal can mean the difference between winning a championship and being an also-ran. A single moment, a split-second reaction or a brief shift in momentum can determine who walks away with their heads held high. And it is in these situations that a team shows its true character, a character often reflective of its captain.

The Harvard men's soccer team was in such a position on Saturday, October 7 in an Ivy League game against the University of Pennsylvania. As the contest entered overtime, the Crimson knew that its Ivy League title hopes hung in the balance. Harvard also knew that if there was anyone who could calm the team and lead it to victory, it would be senior captain Chris Wojcik.

In the first overtime, Wojcik scored the game-winning goal to keep the team in contention for its second consecutive Ivy League title.

"We were sitting there on the bench and thought Chris was going to get the goal and sure enough he did," junior Kevin Silva says.

As captain, Wojcik allows his actions to speak louder than his words, preferring to lead by example. The game-winning goal against the Quakers certainly didn't leave much to say anyway.

"Chris, in general, is not a vocal captain," Silva says. "He has a quiet demeanor and quiet confidence that help the team. He has a quiet coolness about him and nothing seems to get to him."

Wojcik's game preparation helps the calm collectedness that his teammates so appreciate.

"The day of the game involves more physical preparation, as well as being in the right mood, right frame of mind and being relaxed," Wojcik says. "The day of a game I try not to talk about it. I just try to stay relaxed."

Wojcik handles the pressure of team leadership the same way he handles his game preparation. He prefers to stay relaxed and keep things simple.

"He never loses his cool," junior John Vironis says. "He's a great liaison between the players and coaches. Being one of only two seniors on the team, he has had a lot of responsibility and he's handled it really well."

Wojcik is always there for his teammates.

"I'm the players' representative to the coach, and my biggest job is to support them, prepare them and assist them in anyway I can," he says. "It's a very special relationship between coach and players, and it's very important that you do these things as captain."

Above all, above winning and scoring goals, Wojcik values the camaraderie of his teammates.

"The friendships I've made, the relationships I built with team members is the biggest thing I've gotten out of soccer," he says. "To be able to do it in a competitive Division I environment has been a great opportunity."

The value Wojcik places on team relations also shows in the goals the team has set for themselves. Above all else, the players want team unity, followed by another Ivy League title and, they hope, an NCAA Final Four appearance.

Harvard still can achieve goals two and three, but it cannot afford to lose another Ivy League game.

***

Wojcik started playing soccer as a six-year-old in Westfield, N.J., following in the footsteps of his older brother. In high school, he earned All-state honors for two years and was an All-American his senior year. Wojcik's college accolades include All-Ivy honors as a freshman and runner-up honors for Rookie of the Year.

He also benefited from growing up in the shadow of Giants Stadium and being able to see the New York Cosmos play in the late seventies and early eighties.

"I grew up near Giants Stadium and was a huge Cosmos fan. Pele, Beckenbauer, Ricky Davis...those players were definitely idols that I looked up to and tried to emulate," he says.

However, Wojcik's athletic talents are committed to soccer. In the spring, he will assume the role of lacrosse team captain.

Wojcik began playing lacrosse in the eighth grade. He earned All-State honors in high school three times and high school All-American honors twice. For the last two years, Wojcik was named to the All-Ivy honorable mention list.

"I love both sports and the reason I'm playing both is because they are both extremely me," he says. "And whatever season it is, that's my priority."

When Wojcik is not playing soccer or lacrosse, he spends his time pursuing less intense interests.

"When I'm off the field I like to read, play golf and spend time with my family," he says.

In the future, Wojcik can see himself attending law school and embarking on a career in law or in some sports-related business. However, before he attends graduate school, he plans on taking some time off.

"Ideally, I'd love to go overseas somewhere and experience another culture and play soccer or lacrosse and travel as much as possible for a year or so," he says.

But before Wojcik departs for some foreign port of call, he will stay in Cambridge to allow his example to lead the men's soccer and lacrosse teams.