Faculty Books Featured on List of 100 Influential Works

faculty brief

By Jeffrey N. Gell

Works by six current Harvard faculty members are featured in a list of the 100 most influential books since World War II.

The list, complied by the Times of London for its literary supplement, contains "a hundred books which have influenced Western public discourse since the Second World War" and is divided by decade.

Warburg Professor of Economics Emeritus John K. Galbraith's The Affluent Society and Ford Professor of the Social Sciences Emeritus David Riesman '31's The Lonely Crowd are listed as two of the most influential books of the 1970s. The End of Ideology, written by Daniel Bell, Ford professor of the social sciences emeritus, appears as one of the most influential books of the 1960s.

Bell's The Cultural Contraditions of Capitalism, Porter Professor of Philosophy Robert Nozick's Anarchy, State and Utopia, and Conant University Professor Emeritus John Rawls' A Theory of Justice are among the most influential books of the 1970s.

Resources, Values and Development, by Lamont University Professor Amartya Sen, appears as one of the most provocative works of the 1980s.

Bell said he is honored that two of his books are on the list but said the true measure of these influence corners from the fact that they have been translated into many Languages.

"If somebody wants to publish [a book] in Bulgarian, that I think is an achievement, as much as making the [Times Literary Supplement] list," he said.