Council Suggests Extension of Grant Deadline

Leadership Hopes to Allocate Entire $36K Budget; Last Year Only $25K Was Requested

By Jal D. Mehta

Applications for Undergraduate Council grants to student groups are due today, but these organizations are behind schedule, council members say.

Several members of the council, including Finance Committee Chair Clay M. West '97, have suggested that the deadline be extended in an effort to increase applications and fund allocations.

Their suggestion responds to criticism of last semester's Finance Committee, which distributed only $25,000 of the $36,000 available. This semester's grants budget is also $36,000.

President of the council and former Finance Committee member Robert M. Hyman '98-'97 said the council would like to spend the entire grant budget, but that it depends on student applications.

"I'd love to see us give out our full allocation," said Hyman. "But since we consider each grant separately on its own merits, sometimes we're over budget, and sometimes we're under budget. It's up to the students."

West emphasized that the council would fund whatever it legitimately could.

"The process tries to weed out frivolous expenses, which was the rationale for why we didn't give out the full $36,000," he said. "In the best case scenario, every group would apply."

Hyman and Brian R. Blais '97, the current council vice president, rewrote the application forms this year in an effort to make them simpler and more informational.

However, it does not seem to have affected the number of applications. Stephen E. Weinberg '99, a member of the Finance Committee, suggested that one reason for the low early turnout was the fact that applications have been available for only a week.

"We haven't had enough time to advertise," Weinberg said. "And there has been a tremendous time pressure."

His theory was confirmed by Hillel President Ethan M. Tucker '97, who says he plans to write his group's application tonight.

"I saw a few posters in the yard," said Tucker, who is a Crimson editor. "I only became really aware of it yesterday."

West said another problem with the grant process is that many student organizations never pick up the money awarded to them. He says that $15,000 from last year remains unclaimed.

West said, however, that these groups can still collect their money until grants night, in early December, when this semester's allocations are announced.

Last year, the council offered funds to about 120 groups, and Clay said he hopes that number will be reached again this year.

"We have had a lot [of applications] going out, but not many coming in," Clay said. "I expect an influx on the last day."

The Finance Committee is looking into making several changes in the grant process this year, though the council rejected two amendments to the budget at Sunday night's meeting.

According to Treasurer Edward B. Smith '97, the council will consider allowing groups to request money for future semesters.

Hyman said that immediate funding for emergency situations is also under consideration.

"A group doesn't always know in October what it needs in January," Hyman said. "We need to be responsive to our student groups, because they are one of the most vital aspects of undergraduate life."