Security Tightened for Arafat Speech

By Karen M. Paik

Yasser Arafat's address tonight at the Institute of Politics (IOP) will be one of the most closely guarded events ever held at the University, police and IOP officials said yesterday.

"[Security is] as high or higher than that for a [United States] president," said Leonard J. Hausman, director of the Kennedy School's Institute for Social and Economic Policy in the Middle East.

Tonight's speech will be the first that Arafat, the chair of the Palestinian National Authority, has given at an American university. Despite the fact that no student demonstrations are planned, officials say maximum security is planned.

"[Arafat will receive] the highest security," said Harvard Police Chief Paul E. Johnson. "[He is] a sensitive guest, and we intend to see that he is fully protected."

A sign in the Kennedy School's Arco Forum yesterday warned students of the numerous security precautions in effect today.

The Littauer building will be vacated and access to the Kennedy School courtyard prohibited at 2:30 p.m. Cars that have not been removed from the courtyard will be towed, according to the posted memo.

Attendees will only be permitted to bring pocketbooks into the speech, which will be individually examined.

"[The security will be] far more restrictive than it's ever been. I ran the Gorbachev forum, and this is certainly much more work on the part of the security team," said Heather P. Campion, Forum director and associate director of the IOP, who issued the posted memo.

Campion said metal detectors will be used to check those entering the forum and audience members will only be admitted between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m., when the event is scheduled to begin.

The doors will be closed when Arafat begins his speech, and late comers, even with tickets, will not be admitted, Campion said.

Avery W. Gardiner '97, a member of the Student Advisory Committee of the IOP, said that Kennedy school students have been required to clean out their lockers in preparation for the visit.

Students failing to comply will have their lockers cleaned out by security officials. Also, a portion of JFK St. will be blocked off for part of the day.

"You won't get anywhere near [the forum] without a Harvard ID," Gardiner said.

With the exception of a few outside guests, tickets have been made available only to Harvard students and faculty. An estimated 5,000 to 6,000 students--including approximately 3,000 undergraduates--signed up for the opportunity to obtain one of the Arco Forum's 800 seats.

Lottery winners were required to show Harvard IDs to pick up their tickets, and all attendees of tonight's forum will be required to present their IDs at the door.

Campion said measures will also be taken to ensure that tickets are not transferred from the designated ticket holder.

Student leaders said yesterday that they do not anticipate any demonstrations today.

"As far as I know, no formal organization is planning a demonstration," said Ethan M. Tucker '97, chair of Harvard-Radcliffe Hillel, who is a Crimson editor.

Yuval Segal '97, chair of Harvard Students for Israel, echoed Tucker's remarks, saying he knew of no protests in the making.

But security officials say they are "prepared for anything."

"Obviously security will be high, and I expect they will be prepared for anything, but there have been no indications of any [disturbances]," said Steven R. Singer, director of communications and public affairs for the Kennedy School.

According to Singer, Arafat's address will probably deal with Middle East peace issues.

"[His talk will be on] the Middle East peace process and where it goes from here, [and] the Palestinian perspective on the peace process and the future of the West Bank and the Gaza Strip," Singer said.

Arafat is speaking in only two cities in the United States. On Sunday, he delivered an address to the United Nations as part of the United Nations' 50th anniversary celebration. He will address the Council on Foreign Relations in New York City this morning before coming to Boston tonight.

"Harvard is very fortunate to be able to attract figures like Arafat and [Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak] Rabin," Campion said.

Rabin is scheduled to speak at the IOP in mid-November.

Arafat's address and a short question-and-answer session will be followed by an invitation-only reception. Arafat will fly back to the Middle East immediately afterwards.

For those unable to obtain seats in the Arco Forum, the speech will be broadcast live via closed-circuit television to the Wiener Auditorium at the Kennedy School, Austin North at the Law School and Piper Auditorium at the Harvard Graduate School of Design. No tickets are necessary to attend these screenings. The forum will also be televised live on New England Cable News (channel 26 in Cambridge)