Neighbors Fight Quincy Sq. Park

By Michael T. Jalkut

Residents of East Harvard Square took the floor at last night's City Council meeting to offer the latest flurry of protests against a planned Quincy Square Park.

"I spent many a day of my youth hanging out in the pit," said a tenant on Harvard Street. "But now I want distance from the chaos of Harvard Square."

Abutters of the area dubbed Quincy Square, which lies between Harvard Yard and the Inn at Harvard, have proposed using any funds to build a small park in the triangular intersection there.

But irate neighbors last night predicted that the proposed project, which involves planting grass and trees in the currently paved space in front of the inn, would destroy their residential tranquility by attracting loud street performers and late-night dwellers.

The Quincy Square Park has generated controversy since its conception in 1991. Nearby residents have objected to any structures that might attract crowds from the Square.

The residents most strongly objected to park benches that would create a late-night hangout and bring noise and safety concerns to their now relatively peaceful neighborhood.

The Quincy Square Design Development Committee co-chair, John R. Pitkin, said at the meeting the plan does not please area residents.

"I think there has to be more respect for the residents," he said.

The protesters suggested a more natural design for the park, perhaps including flower beds.

But all agreed that the present paved tract needs to be beautified.

Cambridge Mayor Kenneth E. Reeves '72 has questioned the residents' concerns in the past, declaring himself a supporter of park benches and street performers. At last night's meeting. Reeves offered nothing new to the debate.

But residents argued that visitors to the park would not understand the unpleasant side of those urban landmarks.

"When all the tourists leave, we will have to deal with the noise and safety concerns," complained another resident.

Law School Lambda Request

In other business at the meeting, members of the Lambda chapter at Harvard Law School--the gay and lesbian group--requested the use of Cambridge public property for a demonstration.

The Lambda chapter wants to protest Colorado's Amendment Two, an anti-gay bill.

The demonstration would take place near the Law School. The Lambda chapter promised a "peaceful gathering."

The City Councillors neither discussed nor voted on the request.

Harvard's Property

Reeves introduced discussion on tax-exempt status, saying that properties owned by universities within the city are continuing to grow in number.

Reeves criticized Harvard--as well as MIT and Lesley College--for buying property for questionably educational purposes. Buildings used for educational means are not subject to property taxes.

"We can't go on assuming everything the universities do is for truth and learning. Reeves said. "The conversion of property hurts the businesses in the short run and the homeowners in the long run."

Reeves said he wants the Council formally to discourage universities from purchasing more property.

"The universities must realize that for the city to thrive around them it needs a tax base," he said.