Head of Charles Web Site Created

By Peggy S. Chen

With a stroke of inspiration by BayBank, the Head of the Charles Regatta, the largest rowing event in the world, is pulling its way into cyberspace.

BayBank, the presenting sponsor of the 31-year-old regatta, announced in a recent press release the creation of a World Wide Web site for the event.

At this site, http://www.BayBank.com, Internet surfers will be able to access a variety of information about the regatta--from the history of the race to its schedules and a map of viewing sites.

In addition, on Sunday, October 22, the day of the race, the BayBank Web site will offer freeze-frame photos of the boats at various times during the race and at the finish line, the press release said.

This unique feature will allow people to compare the boats' progress simultaneously even though they have staggered starting times.

At the race itself, there will be Animated Race Stations, large outdoor screens where spectators can see the race in computer simulation. A scoreboard will also be provided to update the race outcomes.

Though this is the sixth year that BayBank has sponsored the Head of the Charles, it is the first year that so much technology is being offered to the public, said Bruce E. Spitzer, BayBank's vice president of public relations.

"We sought to add value to the race in any way we could." Spitzer said. "BayBank has always had a strong history of technological leadership. If we can help promote [the race] through the Internet, every one--spectators, participants--benefits."

Jonathan C. Metters, account executive of Clark and Company, the firm handling the publicity for the race, said the new technology will greatly enrich the race.

"[BayBank's Web site] really enhances the experience of anyone who attends the regatta," Metters said. "It's just going to take it one level higher."

In another new development this year, BayBank is also sponsoring a program on the ecology and preser- vation of the Charles River, the press release said.

Activities include cleaning up the trash and debris along the river before the Head of the Charles and presenting the BayBank Ecology Exhibit during the regatta.

During the race, recycling bins will be placed on each side of the river.

"The redemption money from these bins will be donated to the Charles River Watershed Association, a 30-year-old non-profit organization dedicated to the upkeep of the river," Spitzer said