Stores Review Mission

'Shops by Harvard Yard' Consider Future

By Geoffrey C. Upton

With two vacant storefronts to fill, those in charge of the Shops by Harvard Yard are taking another look at the mission of the Holyoke Center stores.

Harvard University Planning and Real Estate, which owns the shops, has yet to fill the space vacated by Sweet Stuff, a candy shop, and Papermint, a stationery store.

Both shops went out of business this spring.

The recent turnover has prompted Harvard planners to reconsider the role of the shopping arcade as it relates to the University, said Scott Levitan, Harvard Real Estate director of University and commercial properties.

The arcade houses gift shops, takeout food merchants, kiosks selling accessories and Harvard-run services such as the University Health Services pharmacy and the University Information Center.

"The information office we deem to be a critical function and a very appropriate use of the space," Levitan said. "Holyoke Center is a good place for visitors to come and get their bearings."

Holyoke Center has been managed by Harvard Real Estate for 16 years.

The Shops By Harvard Yard opened the first floor in October 1993 after major renovations--including the addition of heating, public restrooms and new entrances.

The Clientele

Kristine Irving, co-owner of Artsmart, a store that has been in business in the arcade since the renovations, said her store does not target student customers, which she said she considers consistent with the mission of the arcade.

Artsmart sells artistic items such as sand-blasted glass vases, candle holders made from nails and multicolored decorative eggs.

"When the Shops By Harvard Yard were conceived, the idea was to create a place where all types of people could gather and shop," she said. "I fear that Harvard Real Estate has lost its sparkle in being able to reach a wide market."

But some retailers said they are happy with the current state of the arcade.

Olga E. Lapera has had a jewelry kiosk in the arcade for almost two years. She estimated that 30 percent of her sales can be attributed to students.

"It is convenient for them to have stores for gifts and accessories that they need," she said. "Students know that we're here."

Since it opened last month, Ma Soba, the newest counter-style restaurant in Holyoke Center, has become one of its most successful. It attracts about 700 people a day, a number "not even the Gap" could draw, said Constance Smith of the Harvard Real Estate leasing office.

"Food, if it's done right, makes a lot of money," she said.

Carlos Caldwell, assistant manager at Ma Soba, which serves Asian food, said the restaurant is student-friendly.

"The prices are reasonable, it's semi-fast food but it's higher quality, and there's a lot of space in here too," Caldwell said.

Levitan of Harvard Planning said he wants community input for the reevaluation.

"We are going to be reaching out and eliciting a lot of responses from people," he said.

Daniel J. Epstein '99, who was buying Gala Ball tickets at the University Information Center yesterday, said he would like to see different shops open in Holyoke Center.

"There's nothing in here I want to buy," he said. "It would be cool to have a coffee shop--not like An Bon Pain--with some real atmosphere, more laid-back, very bohemian."But David M. Krinsky '99 said he understood the appeal of the current set-up.

"This is a big tourist attraction, and I don't think that that's a bad thing," he said. "Having the little artistic booths and whatnot gives a sort of classy image to the whole place."

Artsmart's Irving said she can understand why students may not be attracted to the Shops. "It needs to be cooler," she said. "I'm young and I spent a lot of time Harvard Square when I was in high school and college, and maybe they need some fresh perspective on design and presentation. The Shops are going through a bit of an identity crisis.