Faculty Elusive on Election Picks

briefs

By Jeffrey N. Gell

While many Harvard faculty and administrators voted in last week's local elections, few wanted to share their political preferences.

"I don't pass that on," said Currier House Master William A. Graham, professor of the history of religion and Islamic studies.

Carter Professor of General Jurisprudence Charles Fried, who also serves on the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court, was silent about his preferences, citing the need for a judge to be impartial.

"I always vote in all elections," Fried said. "I fulfilled my civic duty."

While James H. Rowe '73, vice president for government and community affairs, would not say for whom he voted, he said he was pleased with the slate of candidates.

"I found a wealth of riches to pick from, both on the city council and the school committee," Rowe said. "But I'm not going to share [whom I supported] with you."

Even Frankfurter Professor of Law Alan H. Dershowitz, who is rarely at a loss for words, had no comment on his participation in the Cambridge municipal elections.

Not all faculty and administrators interviewed, however, were quite as reticent.

"I want to depose the liberals of Cambridge," said Kenan Professor of Government Harvey C. Mansfield Jr, '53.

Mansfield said he ranked Anthony Galluccio number one for the city council and Jon Maddox number one for the school committee.

Hanna Hastings, co-master of Pforzheimer House, said she gave Craig A. Kelley her number one vote in the city council race.

"He said he was for public transportation and more bicycles," Hastings said.