IOP Forum Mourns Rabin

By Marian Hennessy-fiske

Students and faculty participated in a Kennedy School of Government forum yesterday, at which slain Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin was scheduled to speak.

Rabin was assassinated on Nov. 4.

President Neil L. Rudenstine lauded Rabin for his leadership in the Middle East peace process.

"We had hoped to have greeted and received one of the world's greatest leaders," said Rudenstine. "Now that hope has been changed by an event that will forever leave its mark on the world."

Israeli Ambassador to the U.S. Itamar Rabinovich, Geyser University Professor Henry Rosovsky, Chair of Harvard-Radcliffe Hillel Ethan M. Tucker '97 and Eliezer Ya'Ari, a fellow in the Wesner-Israel Fellowship program, spoke at the forum.

"Not just in death, but in life, Rabin was a towering figure in the political process," Rabinovich said.

The four Harvard speakers made brief comments on Rabin's legacy before Rabinovich gave a keynote speech.

Ya'Ari noted the importance of solidarity in the movement for peace.

"Just as Rabin acted on his vision of peace, so must we," said Ya'Ari. "We are inextricably bound to make this would a better place."

Tucker echoed Ya'Ari in praising Rabin's actions toward peace, but added, "He pursued political means with one end in mind: what was best for his people."

The struggle for peace would continue because "[Robin] paid for his principles with his life and in doing so he led and challenged others to follow his example," said Tucker, who is a Crimson editor.

"The message is clear," said Rosovsky. "We must continue Rabin's struggle for peace."

Rabinovich opened his address by saying he felt Rabin began to plan for peace long ago.

"When he became minister in 1992, he saw the opportunity," said Rabinovich. "He knew he could make things happen."

He added that negotiations will continue with Syria under Israel's new prime minister, Shimon Peres, but that it will take time for the two countries to arrive at a lasting peace.

"This is a process that will continue for several more years and not unopposed," said Rabinovich