Students Form Women's Safety Issues Group

By Courtney A. Coursey

A new student group formed in response to the recent violent attacks on campus launched a campaign last night to promote violence awareness and self-defense.

The goal of Harvard Alliance for Safety, Training, and Education (HASTE) is to educate women about "their own safety and the safety of women around them," said Rosalie L. Parker '96-'97, one of its four coordinators.

Garance Franke-Ruts '96-'97, a member of the Student Affairs Committee of the Undergraduate Council, said the idea for a women's safety group "started out of a PUCC {Progressive Undergraduate Council Coalition} discussion about how out-raged we were at the police response or lack thereof to the recent rape."

"We wanted to do something," said Franke-Ruts. "You should not have to rule a whole area of campus off-limits if you want to be by your-self."

A sexual assault and two other crimes near the Charles River in recent weeks led the Harvard Police to issue a safety advisory urging caution in those areas.

In an e-mail message sent to Undergraduate Council members and members of PUCC, Alicia Moretti '96 said the new group is an alliance of several organizations.

"After a totally charged meeting at RUS {Radcliffe Union of Students} on Thursday, members of RUS, PUCC, {the} U.C., Response and other concerned women formed {the} coalition," Moretti wrote.

At last night's meeting, Moretti said there are currently 25 members in HASTE representing the Yard and every upper class house but Eliot. She characterized the group as having "amazing energy and amazing women."

Those presents at last night's meeting discussed proposed actions for the group's three committees.

One committee is organizing a program to coordinate running teams. In the future, this program will sponsor clinics focusing on topics such as nutrition and workout variation.

This committee is also organizing a "Take Back the River" fundraising run which will be held in the spring.

Another committee will focus on self-defense classes. HASTF succeeded last week in securing $600 from the Undergraduate Council to fund the participation of undergraduate women in the Rape Aggression Defense System (RAD) program.

RAD, which is administered by the Harvard University Police Department, usually costs $20 per participant. It will now be free for undergraduate women.

The self-defense committee is also working on bringing. "Model Mugging," a professional self-defense program, to Harvard. The program would consist of two three-hour self-defense classes at the Malkin Athletic Center.

The classes may be held before the end of the month, according to Sherry J. Pauker '96 a HASTF organizer.

The third committee hopes to have an outreach program, which will hold meetings for first years with police officers.

HASTF "advocates that students and police should have better communication," said Parker.

Moretti said the outreach committee will also sponsor. "Pizza Safety Breaks" in the upperclass houses to raise awareness about safety issues.

"[If] even five people show up it's a great thing," said Moretti