HASTE Seeks a Safer Campus

TO THE EDITORS

In light of the recent security issues on campus, in particular the 10 a.m. rape of a student running along Memorial Drive, a group of more than 30 concerned women from across campus met to discuss proactive approaches to increasing students' safety. As the Harvard Alliance for Safety Training and Education (HASTE), members of the Radcliffe Union of Students, Progressive Undergraduate Council, Response and other concerned women met to strategize and discuss specific tactics to increase security and awareness on campus.

We are investigating increased opportunities for self-defense training more visible police patrols in dangerous areas at unpopulated times, and increased guard visibility in the Houses. We hope to organize a "Take Back the River" fundraising run, sponsor outreaches and self-defense classes in the Yard and Houses, and compile lists of running partners in different areas of campus, in an effort to combat the escalating violence around campus.

We are actively seeking support from around the University, and hope that all students, administrators, teachers and staff members alike will join us in this quest for a safe campus. Sherry Pauker '96   Rosalie Parker '96-'97   Heather Haxo Phillips '97   Alicia Moretti '96   Rochel Garfield '96   Rachel Garlin '96   Sarah Lieberman '96