'Wallace' Has No Anti-Semetism

TO THE EDITORS

It saddened me when I returned from Thanksgiving, a time for family and friends and togetherness, to find that one of my classmates had written to you and had labeled me as the channeler of Anti-Semetism, utilizing "centuries of tired old stereotypes that have been used time and again to justify violence against Jews" ("Wallace Offends Jews Blatantly," Letter, Nov. 20). I was awestruck. What had caused me to be labeled with such a derogatory title was a play I had directed called "Women and Wallace" about a Jewish kid grappling with his relationship with women after his mother's suicide. I was judged, instead of the play, without taking into account the whole story of Wallace or asking for clarification of the script.

The play was a true story written by a Jewish kid from Jersey, the lead actor was Jewish, as were four of the actresses. The offensive "glasses usage" was scripted in ink by an established playwright and as a director I tried to remain faithful to the text while showcasing some of the talented actors and actresses on campus.

The playwright who attended the show even enjoyed the performance of his life story. I am disappointed that in a play about a struggle to find forgiveness, a pointed and very painful charge of hatred was made against me. How are we to find forgiveness for all the wrongs done against our fellow brothers and sisters if we cannot listen and laugh and see life through another's eyes? It is a sensitive world we live in, so do not seek to find injustice and hatred where none exists because you may make enemies where only friends existed. Bridger E. McGaw '97