Randomization Won't Affect Spring Transfers

By Matthew W. Granade

Despite the College's decision to completely randomize housing for first-years this spring, officials are assuring upperclass students that the oterhouse transfer program will remain intact for the spring term.

Staff members at the Undergraduate Housing Office have been deluged with calls from students inquiring about the interhouse transfer process, according to Jennifer Wood, acting director of housing.

"This year randomization will save no impact on the process for spring term, because randomization has had no impact on the houses yet," Wood said.

Wood says students have expressed worries about the process if switching houses with randomization pending. "I receive about five calls a day from concerned students," Wood said.

Wood said the transfer process will be reviewed by the student faculty Committee on House Life, which will make a recommendation about the appropriateness of a choice-based transfer program within the completely randomized housing system which will be in place next year.

Priority in deciding transfers will be given first to student, who have previously requested a move, and then by class year--with seniors receiving the highest priority, Wood said.

Transfer forms will be available on January 3, and are due on the 11th. A committee will decide which transfers to grant at a meeting on January 18.

Former dean of the college L. Fred Jewett '57 made the decision to completely randomize the housing process last May, following a recommendation made in The Report on the Structure of Harvard College released last fall.

This April, for the first time in the College's history, student blocking groups will be randomly assigned to undergraduate houses