'Fun Run' Held Today

By Jay S. Kimmelman

About 650 people are expected to participate today in a 1.8 mile charitable "Fun Run" sponsored by the Harvard Graduate Council (HGC).

The proceeds from the race will benefit The Food Project, a non-profit farm-based program which brings together volunteers of diverse backgrounds, especially young people, to grow and distribute food in Greater Boston.

"We liked the idea that the project works with youth and provides food to shelters and low income families," said Peter Baeza, a member of the HGC and a race coordinator.

Walkers, faculty and staff members are welcome in addition to runners, according to a press release.

The main event, the individual race, begins at 11 a.m. and will be followed by a four-person team race. The race will begin and end at Kresge Hall, located at the Harvard Business School.

Half of the proceeds from the race will be used to pay the salaries of youth workers and leaders in the Food Project. The remainder will be used for the transportation of the produce and agricultural supplies.

The Food Project distributes more than 40,000 pounds of fresh produce to soup kitchens, shelters and low income farmers' markets each year. It also works with more than 600 young people from the inner-city and suburbs of Boston.

This is the second annual "Fun Run" sponsored by the HGC. Last year, more than 200 people participated in the race.

"It was a great success," Baeza said. "People were very enthusiastic because of the idea that the money goes to the food project. We also found that many people who couldn't [run in the race] made donations to the charity."

Participants can register at Kresge Hall beginning at 10 a.m

Registration is $12.00 and includes a free T-shirt and post-race party