SO WHEN'S KATO COMING?

A SUMMARY OF VIEWS, COMMENTARY AND SOMETIMES COMEDY

By Jake Brooks

First there came Johnnie Cochran, descending on the Law School with his swarm of Nation of Islam bodyguards. Four days later Los Angeles County District Attorney Gil Garcetti was part of a panel speaking at the Law School. And, less than two weeks from today, prosecutor Christopher Darden will be speaking in Sanders Theater. A strange trend is developing.

While O.J. Simpson continues his search for the true murderer and a golf club that will accept him, those courtroom gladiators we have all grown to love over the past 19 months have chosen to share their gospel with the Harvard campus. Perhaps it is their hope to join the long line of dignitaries who speak at Harvard. Or perhaps it is a desire to legitimize themselves in any way they can.

Cochran spoke of the "Journey to Justice" that began with O.J.'s arrest over a year ago and presumably will still continue until Cochran's speaking fees are enough for him to retire. Cochran does deserve our respect, though. After all, Cambridge Mayor Kenneth E. Reeves '72 gave him the key to the city, an honor which perhaps Reeves does not hold high enough to give to some of the more noble of Harvard's visitors. And it is to Cochran's credit that one could see his speech for free, unlike a certain prosecutor we could mention.

Darden will be charging $25 a seat ($100 if you include a pre-show reception; Dartboard wonders how much for an autographed picture). Perhaps Darden, being a public prosecutor, and thus not as rich as a certain criminal lawyer we've already mentioned, just cannot afford not to charge, at least until those book advances come in. But regardless, he is still bringing his message to the common people of Harvard University and Northampton, New York. Plus, it'll be a good show; Darden has yet to release his opinions on the trial and verdict. We can't bear the suspense.

Garcetti seems to be the only one who came away clean, and he did so simply by not mentioning the trial until he was asked. That's a lesson the others should learn.

It is probably only a matter of time before Judge Lance Ito and Marcia Clark rear their fearsome heads, too. We'll check the Ticketmaster hot line and keep you posted.