Adams Banner Is Stolen

By Nelson C. Hsu

Harvard Police are investigating the theft of a $ 2,000 antique banner from the Adams House Gold Room.

The banner, which Adams House Superintendent William B. Long reported missing last Thursday, exhibits the Adams House oakleaf crest.

According to Adams House security, the theft probably occurred very early Thursday morning, around 2 or 3 a.m.

"It was quite old. It has historical value to the house and nobody else," said Victoria R. Macy, assistant to the superintendent.

"It might have been done as a prank. Last week was hazing week," she added. "It's upsetting. Let's hope it'll be returned." Last week, various final clubs were inducting their new members.

Joe F. Hickey, assistant to the superintendent, said that the banner was about 10 feet long and was probably tugged down. The nail on which the banner hung is many feet above the floor.

"I took that banner down two years ago and washed it by hand, and now to have it stolen [is very upsetting]," Hickey said.

"There have been a lot of things missing lately. It's not the first time this has happened," Hickey added. "One year Yale took the dining hall banner, but we got that back."

Olivier A. Manuel '96, chair of the Adams House Committee, said he was disturbed by the banner's removal.

"I'm appalled that people at Harvard should show so little respect," he said. "But, I'm not surprised. There has been a lot of theft in the past. Especially with hazing, a lot of things disappear this time of year.