Gi, Chan Named AAA Co-Presidents

Asian Organization's New Leaders Plan Discussion Groups, Service

By Ariel R. Frank

Sharon W. Gi '98 and Sewell Chan '98 were elected co-presidents of the Asian-American Association (AAA) Tuesday night.

The new leaders are planning one of the most active years ever, Chan said, with an Asian-American culture and history discussion group and monthly community service days among new projects in the works.

The organization, which was founded in the late 1970s to foster a sense of community among Asian-American students at Harvard, also elected the other members of its 1996 steering committee.

About 30 of the organization's 200 members voted, according to Ellie T. Kim '98, who was elected co-chair of the cultural committee. "The elections were really interesting because a lot of the candidates were unopposed, but the question-and-answer sessions turned into great discussions about the issues," she said.

Kim said one issue the AAA plans to take up is its role as an umbrella organization.

"Because of the diversity of the community, it's supposed to address Asian-Americans in general, but there are also other organizations, like the Chinese Students Association, that fall under the AAA," Kim said. "What should be the role of AAA in uniting these students from all Asian-American backgrounds?"

Laura S. Kang '99, who was elected co-education/political chair, agreed that the organization plans to unite students from various backgrounds.

"Building an Asian-American community on campus is a really important issue for AAA to address," she said. "The basic [goal] for all of AAA is to get more people involved, to have more events that are important, that people care about, that they're interested in and that they can go to meet people."

Kang said AAA has several goals, including education, activism and dissolving the apathy that seems to be splitting Asian-Americans in general in the United States.

She noted the lack of ethnic studies courses about Asian-Americans. "We feel that by not having any Asian-American studies classes, Har- vard is equating Asians with foreigners," she said. "They have East Asian studies and foreign culture [courses], but Asian-Americans are not foreigners. They're Americans."

Kang said the AAA needs to collaborate with the Ethnic Studies Action Committee to bring about change in the course offerings.

She also cited the commitment of the AAA's incoming officers to open discussion and raise awareness of Asian-American issues.

"[The elections focused] on who is qualified and passionate about doing a good job," Kang said.

The other officers elected were Vice President Daniel K. Hwang '98, Secretary Grace M. Lee '99, Education/Political Chair Mina K. Park '98, Cultural Committee Chair S. Anthony Wong '97, Co-Publicity Chairs Paula V. Fernandez '99 and Michelle G. Lee '98 and Co-Social Committee Chairs Edward M. Gong '97 and Shouyee Yung '98.

Chan is a Crimson editor

Chan is a Crimson editor