Radcliffe Students Pick New Co-Presidents

By Brian J. Chan

Corinne E. Funk '97 and Megan L. Peimer '97 were elected as co-presidents of the Radcliffe Union of Students' (RUS) new executive board last night.

Candidates ran uncontested for the four officer positions. Speaking to the 17 members present, the candidates emphasized the need for RUS to publicize its activities and encourage membership involvement through better coordination of its committees.

"Not enough people know what we do," said Peimer.

"Publicity really needs to serve as the link between students and RUS," said newly-elected secretary Adina H. Rosenbaum '98.

The new board stressed the importance of reaching out to first-years and even pre-frosh in order to raise awareness about opportunities available to them in the women's group.

In an effort to inform more students about RUS, Peimer said she plans to organize more events. Peimer also proposed broadening the scope of RUS activities by offering members opportunities to do public service.

"[We'd like to] establish community service, set up regular schedules ... [and] really make an impact on campus," said Peimer.

RUS committees organize events such as the Women's Expo, a one day conference held in the spring on a specific topic.

In the long run, Peimer said she would like to see RUS play a more active role in student affairs around campus.

"We're a voice for the women on campus," said Peimer. "We want them to let us know how we can help them and what issues they think are important."

All female undergraduates are considered members of RUS, but active members number at around 50, said Peimer.

RUS is an umbrella organization that acts as a source of funding for groups involved in women's issues.

In addition to workshops such as the Women's Expo, RUS sponsors events open to the Harvard community. One such event is Take Back the Night, an annual week-long series of rallies held in April designed to increase awareness of violence against women.

Also elected was Jennifer P. Stevens '98, who will serve as publicity chair. Funk is a Crimson editor