Icemen Snap Skid, Topple Princeton By 5-1 Count

By Rebecca A. Blaeser, Special to The Crimson

PRINCETON, N.J.--They're back folks. After dropping two heartbreakers last weekend, the Harvard men's hockey team was not about to lose again.

Although the entire team still wasn't completely healthy, Harvard (6-5-1, 5-3-1 ECAC) was able to notch a solid 5-1 win against Princeton (3-8-2, 1-7-1) at Hobey Baker Memorial Rink last night.

In a contest that featured the return of Harvard's offense, the team came out strong, intent upon stopping its two-game losing streak.

"This is certainly the best effort on the road this year," Harvard coach Ronn Tomassoni said. "It was a solid, solid win."

The third period was a perfect example of Harvard's dominance, as Princeton had trouble even making it into the Harvard zone.

With about 10 minutes left in the game, the Princeton public address system blared the song "[low] Self Esteem" during a stoppage in play. How appropriate, considering that the Crimson ripped 15 shots on net and killed any hope of a Princeton comeback.

Only four minutes into the final period, senior Jason Karmanos broke down center ice. Drawing three defenders around him, Karmanos took a shot only to have it rebounded right back on his stick. The second attempt was golden, however, as Karmanos ripped the puck past Princeton goalie James Konte to up Harvard's lead to 4-1.

Less than seven minutes later, senior winger Tommy Holmes broke into the Princeton zone and threaded a beautiful pass through three Princeton defenders to streaking senior Kirk Nielsen. Nielsen then whipped the biscuit into the back of the net.

"I thought we really took it to them," Tomassoni said. "That third period is where you want to roll it up and get on the other team, and I thought we really bottled them up and controlled the [action]."

Harvard was on fire from the get-go, as it got on the board early in the first period the best way it knows how--shorthanded. With less than four minutes elapsed in the contest and with Harvard freshman Ethan Oberman in the penalty box for holding, the shorthanded unit got to work.

Holmes nabbed the puck at center ice and broke down the right side towards the Princeton net. Although the play looked harmless at first. Holmes at the last moment flicked a pass in front of the goal to trailing junior Joseph Craigen. After controlling the bouncing puck with his knee, Craigen knocked in his second tally of the year and Harvard's eighth shorthanded goal of the season.

"Tommy, Brad [and] Karmo have done an outstanding job shorthanded all season long," Tomassoni said. "And if you're going to have good penalty killing, you have to also have good goaltending and Tripp Tracy [28 saves] gave us that tonight."

But the Crimson wasn't done yet. With only 1:46 remaining in the period and on a power play, freshman Craig Adams shuffled a pass to Holmes, who broke in on Konte.

Displaying deft stick work. Holmes decked Konte and slipped the puck into the net to give Harvard a 2-0 lead.

"We wanted to come out and get a good win on the road," Holmes said.

The Tigers were not completely lackluster as they, too, generated some great chances throughout the first period, forcing Tracy to make 10 saves. They finally struck gold, scoring a power-play goal in the final minute of the opening stanza.

Princeton junior Mike Bois, alone on the right Harvard post, shoveled two shots at Tracy with no success. The puck then bounced out in front to Princeton winger Jonathan Kelley, who flicked a wrist shot into the upper right corner of the net to bring the Tigers within one.

But that was as close as they would come.

The second period was a little tamer with only one goal being scored. Karmanos, deep in the Princeton zone, slipped a pass through the legs of a Princeton defender to freshman defender Ben Storey right in front of Konte. Storey then notched his first collegiate goal with a wicked wrist shot into the upper left corner of the net to give the Crimson a solid 3-1 lead at the 12:39 mark.

Tame, however, was not how Harvard played last night. Determined is the only word that would accurately describe the game and the team attitude.

And this is definitely a good sign for the Crimson, considering that its next challenge is against the nationally-ranked University of Minnesota at the Mariucci Classic Tournament in Minneapolis.

"It is a really big game for us in terms of national ranking," Holmes said. "But [it's also important] considering that there are a few guys on the team from Minnesota."

After last night's game, Harvard is convinced that it is back in the winning habit. Whether or not it is there to stay will be determined in the land of 10,000 lakes. Harvard  5 Princeton  1

Harvard, 5-1. at Balver Pink, Princeton IU Harvard  2  1  2  --  5 Princeton  1  0  0  --  1

First Period

Har--Craigen (Holmes, Storey) 3:23.

Har--Holmes (Adams, Konik) 18:14 (PPG).

Pri--Kelley (Bois) 19:46 (PPG).

Second Period

Har--Storey (Karmanos, Philpott) 12:34.

Third Period

Har--Karmanos (Konik, Nielsen) 4:11.

Har--Nielsen (Holmes) 11:02.

Savest Har--Tracy 10-10-8 28; Pri--Konte 8-6-13 27.

First Period

Har--Craigen (Holmes, Storey) 3:23.

Har--Holmes (Adams, Konik) 18:14 (PPG).

Pri--Kelley (Bois) 19:46 (PPG).

Second Period

Har--Storey (Karmanos, Philpott) 12:34.

Third Period

Har--Karmanos (Konik, Nielsen) 4:11.

Har--Nielsen (Holmes) 11:02.

First Period

Har--Craigen (Holmes, Storey) 3:23.

Har--Holmes (Adams, Konik) 18:14 (PPG).

Pri--Kelley (Bois) 19:46 (PPG).

Second Period

Har--Storey (Karmanos, Philpott) 12:34.

Third Period

Har--Karmanos (Konik, Nielsen) 4:11.

Har--Nielsen (Holmes) 11:02.