W. Cagers Seek Cure for Finale Blues

By Jamal K. Greene

The Harvard women's basketball team will try to get back on a winning track when it takes to the road for a game against Northeastern this afternoon. After starting the season with three blowout victories, the Crimson (4-4) has dropped four of its last five contests.

The last of those four losses was Wednesday's heartbreaker against the University of Rhode Island. With Harvard up 69-68 with 3:41 to play, URI mounted a 13-1 run that put the game away. Letting the game slip away down the stretch--it happened against George Washington, Providence and Duquesne--has become a disturbing pattern for the Crimson.

"In the final minutes, we have to maintain our composure and our confidence," co-captain Elizabeth Gettelman said. "We've been playing a lot of close games.... We just have to get a win."

Part of what made Wednesday's loss so heartwrenching was that the team appeared to adjust to the Rams' transition game after the first half, outscoring them 46-37 after the break. But the defensive breakdown at the end of the game allowed it to slip away.

Gettelman says the team has been practicing different end-of game scenarios to help the team keep its composure down the stretch. But the bottom line for Harvard against Northeastern (2-4) will be to rely on its own strengths.

"In the past Northeastern has been an athletic team that's run a lot," Gettelman said. "We just have to make sure we play our own game and stick to our own offense."

Harvard's offense is one that thrives on outside shooting and consistent defense. The Crimson is shooting over 39 percent from downtown, and the team has already attempted over 100 more three-pointers than its opposition. Sophomore forward Allison Feaster, the team's leading scorer, led the way on Wednesday with a five-for-seven performance from behind the are on route to a 25 point performance.

But it is defense that will be particularly important against Northeastern, whose quick transition game is reminiscent of Providence and URI. Harvard was out-rebounded on Wednesday (48-41), and crashing the boards is key against any running team.

"It's really a matter of making the adjustment on the floor," said junior guard Jessica Gelman, who handles much of the point duty for the Crimson. "I think we will be ready for any fast-break Northeastern might throw at us."

The Crimson will have to concentrate on stopping two Northeastern seniors, guard Julie Davis and small forward Nora Mitchell. Harvard's relatively small lineup may also have to worry about the Huskies' freshman center, Betsy Palecek.

Northeastern is the first of three non-league opponents for the Crimson before they start the Ivy League schedule January 6 against Dartmouth. Despite the losses, it is a confident team that heads into the stretch-run into the Ancient Eight schedule.

"We need to take things in stride," Gelman said. "We're not dead because we lost four games. We just have to keep working hard and the wins will come."