News

The New Gen Ed Lottery System, Explained

News

Armed Individuals Sighted in Harvard Square Arraigned

News

Harvard Students Form Coalition Supporting Slave Photo Lawsuit's Demands

News

Police Apprehend Armed Man and Woman in Central Square

News

107 Faculty Called for Review of Tenure Procedures in Letter to Dean Gay

Fire Blazes in Cabot Building

Hanukkah Candle Sited as Cause of Flames at 103 Walker St.

By Malka A. Older

The Cambridge Fire Department put out a small fire in a Cabot House building last night, according to Cabot House Security Guard John Scochlas.

The fire was in Cabot 1035, the room of Orit A. Sarfaty '96-'97, in the building at 103 Walker Street which also houses the Cabot House senior tutor's suite.

Sarfaty could not be reached for comment because her phone had been disconnected.

Eric S. Giroux '97 said he saw flames in the window of the house, heard glass breaking and saw black smoke billowing out.

The Cambridge Fire Department determined the cause of the fire to be a Hanukkah candle left burning, according to Lieutenant lack E. Stanton.

Stanton said a cruiser responded at around 9:10 p.m. and was at the location for approximately half on hour.

Although the fire was confined to one suite on the fifth floor, there was water damage to the first and second floors, Stanton said.

There were no injuries, according to Stanton.

Want to keep up with breaking news? Subscribe to our email newsletter.

Tags